IBM to deliver essential business and operational support systems for NBN Co

Select a topic or year

Sydney, Australia - 29 Mar 2011: IBM Australia (NYSE: IBM) has been awarded a multimillion dollar contract with NBN Co Limited to implement and manage the core business and operational support systems required to operate Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN).

As the prime systems integrator under the three year contract, IBM will provide consulting services, integration, application support services and software solutions. These essential technologies and services will enable NBN Co to manage its network, provision and configure services, and bill its wholesale customers.

“We need robust and highly automated core business and operational support systems with extensive self-service capabilities in order to sell services efficiently to service providers that resell them to households and businesses,” said Mike Quigley, CEO of NBN Co.

“A key factor for us when choosing IBM for this important project was IBM’s global and local track record for managing complex, mission critical programmes.”

IBM will provide a range of applications powered by the IBM Service Provider Delivery Environment (SPDE), an open, scalable and flexible industry framework. The SPDE is designed to speed delivery of revenue-generating services and integrate service management with telecommunication business processes. 

This contract is designed to deliver the five key core business and operational support systems components: fulfilment, assurance, resource management, billing and integration and B2B. Implementation has just started and will be completed in four releases.

“This agreement means IBM is taking a lead role in a project that will help to build a more productive, innovative and prosperous Australia,” said Andrew Stevens, Managing Director of IBM Australia and New Zealand.

"Using our extensive telecommunications industry expertise and proven applications and services capabilities, IBM will partner with NBN Co to deliver next-generation systems."

The Australian Federal Government’s multi-billion dollar investment in the National Broadband Network represents one of the largest nation-building infrastructure projects in Australian history, connecting 93 percent of all Australian premises with high-speed, fibre-based communications services by 2020, and wireless and satellite to the remaining 7 percent.


For more information on NBN Co please visit

For more information on IBM please visit

Related XML feeds
Topics XML feeds
News about IBM solutions for federal, state, and local governments