The z/VM hypervisor provides a virtualization technology platform for IBM z Systems and IBM LinuxONE and supports operating systems including Linux and z/OS. IBM z/VM virtualization enables a highly secure and scalable infrastructure for enterprise cloud, Linux deployment and diverse critical applications. Long recognized as a robust hypervisor, z/VM allows customers to exploit IBM virtualization technology on one of the industry's best-of-breed server environments, IBM z Systems and IBM LinuxONE. Enterprises rely on the z/VM hypervisor for virtualization with superior scalability and security, and performance.
Enables extreme scalability, security and efficiency creating cost savings opportunities and provides the foundation for cognitive computing on z Systems and LinuxONE.
z/VM V6.4 is planned to deliver:
- Integration of new CMS Pipelines functionality which previously was not formally incorporated within the z/VM product, allowing a much more inclusive set of tools for application developers
- Increased efficiency with HyperPAV paging that takes advantage of DS8000 features to increase the bandwidth for paging and allow for more efficient memory management of over-committed workloads
- Easier migration with enhanced upgrade-in-place infrastructure that provides an improved migration path from previous z/VM releases
- Improved operations with ease of use enhancements requested by clients, such as querying service applied to the running hypervisor and providing environment variables to allow programming automation based on systems characteristics and client settings
- Improved Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) support for guest attachment of disk and other peripherals, and hypervisor attachment of disk drives to z Systems and LinuxONE systems
- Increased scalability by exploiting Guest Enhanced DAT to allow guests to take advantage of large (1MB) pages, decreasing the memory and overhead required to perform address translation
z/VM V6.3 enhancements
Offers extended virtualization technology, through simultaneous multithreading on the new IBM z13s, IBM z13 and IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper and IBM LinuxONE Emperor, with support for up to 64 processors or up to 64 threads for Linux workloads.
Benefits of z/VM
- Supports up to thousands of virtual servers in a single footprint, more than any other platform
- Efficiently scales for growth while lowering the cost of service delivery
- Supports the z Systems operating systems IBM z/OS, IBM z/VSE, IBM z/TPF and Linux and for production and testing.
- Efficient use of resources for improved price performance with support for IBM z13, IBM z13s, LinuxONE Emperor and LinuxONE Rockhopper.
IBM Wave for z/VM
Virtualization management with an innovative point-and-click user interface harnesses the power of z/VM hypervisor as the virtualization technology platform of choice for Linux deployment and consolidation.
z/VM products from IBM
z/VM products from ISV's
z/VM hypervisor technical resources
See more z/VM downloads on the IBM Support site