To help simply the management of your z/OS® platform software, z/OSMF provides the Software Management task (previously called Software Deployment 1), which allows you to view, inspect, deploy, and create reports about your z/OS platform software.
With the Software Management task, you can:
- Define your software to z/OSMF in the form of a software instance, which can contain any software that is SMP/E packaged and installed.
For example, a software instance can contain:
- IBM software installed from ServerPac, CBPDO, or fee-based installation offerings
- ISV software
- z/OS operating system and related products
- Subsystems, such as DB2®, CICS®, and IMS™, and their related products
- User written software
- Service upgrades for all of the above (via complete replacement)
- View a list of the products, features, FMIDs, and data sets included in your software
- View details about your installed products such as a list of all the products contained in your software instances. 2
- Create reports about your software and installed products. 2 You can generate reports to:
- Identify software products that are approaching or have reached end of service support.
- Validate the SMP/E structure and content of a software instance.
- Identify missing HIPER and PE fixes, and fixes associated with one or more fix categories.
- Determine if individual fixes are installed and in which software instances.
- Compare the service and functional content of two software instances to aid in debugging or migration planning.
- Print and export reports about your software and installed products. 3
The Software Management task also provides a simplified process for cloning and deploying z/OS platform software and maintenance. The software deployment process is a valuable addition to, or even possible replacement for, existing in-house software deployment tools.
This process, which is implemented as a checklist, codifies the IBM® recommended route for z/OS platform software deployment, helps reduce the incidence of errors during the installation of a deployment process, and ultimately helps reduce the skills needed for deploying z/OS platform software.
- As of z/OSMF V1R13 with APAR PM73833, the name of the Software Deployment task was changed to Software Management and the task was enhanced to provide additional actions on instances of SMP/E installed software.
- This capability is provided as of z/OSMF V1R13 with APAR PM73833.
- This capability is provided as of z/OSMF V2R1.