IBM® z/OS® Management Facility (5610-A01) provides a modern, Web-browser based console that helps you more easily manage the day-to-day operations and administration of your mainframe z/OS systems.
IBM z/OS Management Facility (z/OSMF) also provides a modular framework that you can use to bring together Web-based resources your organization commonly uses, which provides a smoother user experience and helps your organization perform z/OS management tasks more efficiently.
The value of z/OSMF
z/OSMF is useful for any z/OS customer who needs to improve productivity, enhance quality, reduce administrative costs, improve programmer efficiency, and accelerate z/OS learning. z/OSMF can drive efficiencies, reduce costs, and simplify the management of z/OS -- benefitting almost all organizations.
z/OSMF enables IT personnel, such as system programmers, administrators, and others, to more easily manage a mainframe by simplifying configuration and management of a z/OS system.
z/OSMF is an intuitive platform that supports the common tasks that system programmers perform to manage their z/OS environment. Automated tasks help reduce the learning curve and improve productivity. In addition, wizards, tool tips, and other embedded active user assistance guide users through tasks and help provide simplified operations. z/OSMF gives users a single Web-browser based console, which helps reduce context switching and provides more seamless navigation.
With z/OSMF V2R1, the scope of z/OSMF has been broadened with capabilities to address critical functions like software currency, configuration management, and workflow, designed to significantly improve productivity. Also, z/OSMF now runs using the new Liberty Profile in WebSphere Application Server for z/OS, V8.5 for improved processing efficiency.
z/OSMF provides the following system management capabilities to simplify and help standardize common management tasks:
- Capacity Provisioning: Create, edit, and activate domain configurations and capacity provisioning policies, and monitor Capacity Provisioning Manager status for domains.
- Configuration Assistant for z/OS Communications Server: Configure TCP/IP policy-based networking functions.
- Incident Log: Capture, package, and send SVC dump diagnostic data to simplify problem reporting.
- ISPF: Launch ISPF functions in the z/OSMF user interface.
- Resource Monitoring and System Status: View performance status and obtain dynamic, real time metrics for z/OS® sysplexes, AIX® system complexes, Windows system complexes, and Linux system complexes.
- Software Management (previously named Software Deployment): View, inspect, and report on software instances to simplify the management of your z/OS software. You can also clone z/OS images, and deploy software more easily and consistently.
- Workflows: Perform a guided set of steps, for example, to configure components or products in your installation.
- Workload Management: Create, edit, and activate WLM policies to offer a convenient way of adjusting policies.