Minimum Server Requirements
IBM z/OS Version 2 requires certain
processor facilities that are implemented on modern System z servers.
- Many of these facilities involve additional processor instructions that can also be used by software.
- Over time, increased use of these instructions can lead to performance improvements through more efficient software.
Supported Servers are z9BC, z9EC, z10BC, z10 EC, z196, z114
For more information, see the z/Architecture Principles of Operation
SA22-7832-05 or later.
Tip: to get the latest copy of this manual, visit the IBM Publications Center and search on SA22-7832. Then download the document with the highest dash level.
Required Architecture Features
z/OS Version 2 requires the following architecture facilities¹ that had been previously optional.
- ASN-and-LX reuse facility
- Compare-and-swap-and-store facility
- DAT-enhancement facility 1
- DAT-enhancement facility 2
- Decimal Floating Point facility
- ETF2-enhancement facility
- ETF3-enhancement facility
- Extract-CPU-time facility
- Extended-immediate facility
- Extended-translation facility 3
- Floating-point-support enhancement facilities
- HFP-multiply-and-add/subtract facility
- HFP-unnormalized-extension facility
- Long-displacement facility [high performance]
- Move-with-optional-specifications facility
- PFPO facility
- Store-clock-fast facility
- Store-facility-list-extended facility
IBM Storage Control Units Supported with z/OS V2²
The Storage control units must support extended count key data (EKCD) instructions
- 3990-3, 3990-6
- DS8000 family (2107,2121,2122,2123,2124)
- ESS Family (2105)
- DS6000 family (1750)
- Rack mounted DASD (9340,9341, 9342, 9343)
|¹||z/OS V2 will not operate (IPL) on processors which do not have these facilities installed. |
|²||IBM devices or equivalent support|