PSF V4R4 provides the following enhancements::
- Consolidation of print messages with use of the Infoprint® Server common message log
- Support for IPv6
- Enhancements to Advanced Function Presentation (AFP™) bar code processing
- Support to allow Portable Network Graphics (PNG) images
- Enhanced support for Unicode
- Support for a larger number of copies of a data set
- Support for PTOCA Text Objects which allows text to be stored as resource objects and mapped to the PTOCA presentation space
for the latest AFP IS/3 standard for improved integration of
multi-vendor AFP-based systems, and improved color, image, and font
PSF V4R3 provides the following capabilities:
- New bar code capabilities to support the use of bar codes in applications
(for use with mail optimization for postal savings, for example), and to control automated workflows.
- Improved color management:
- Color Conversion Color Management Resources (CMRs) can now pass through CMYK colors more easily.
- Indexed CMRs map indexed colors in the data to output device
colors or colorant combinations enables easier migration of existing
color applications to newer color printer technologies.
- Process colors can be specified as the default color in the
data descriptor for a Graphics Object Content Architecture object,
providing full color image reproduction in very high quality.
- New finishing options enable applications to specify documents
to be bound into booklets, or trimmed to a specified size required by
the finished document.
- New messages and error handling improve PSF quality and
provide additional diagnostic information. An example is Composition
Error Handling, providing capability to hold jobs on the spool when the
print data requests a medium map that is not found in the Form
Many significant enhancements have been made to the AFP Download Plus and ACIF, both separately priced features of PSF.
AFP Download Plus
- Improved performance and resource utilization, additional info in the AFPSTATS report,
reduced TCP/IP commands, control over transmit recovery interval,
sending error messages and separator pages to the receiver to better coordinate print production:
- Option to send Mixed Object Document Content Architecture™ data directly to the receiving system
without storing it in a temporary file in the working directory
- Change the transmission recovery interval with a new AFPPARMS control statement parameter
- Send an error message data set to the receiver when errors stop transformation
- Send the active PSF for z/OS separator pages to the receiver
- The COLORMAP parameter has been added to allow users to specify color mapping tables.
- The IDXCPGID, MVSINCV, and NOINCV values have been added to the EXTENSIONS parameter
- New and updated messages
- Note, ACIF can run on any z/OS system with or without PSF
The AFP architecture and PSF have been enhanced to manage color applications in
an architecture that can ensure consistent color output on a variety of printers and
from a variety of data stream.
The same application can be printed in color on printers that support the architecture,
or in high-quality grayscale on black-and-white printers.
The PSF and AFP color management support can help you enhance the effectiveness of
customer communication by combining traditional transaction statement data such as
financial statements and invoices with highly tailored marketing messages based on
the individual customer's buying habits and preferences.
This type of production application, called trans-promotional communication, produces
a personalized document that can help you increase customer loyalty, increase
response rates to promotions, reward high-value clients, and may ultimately help
increase enterprise revenues.
IBM has also delivered enhancements via PTFs to
the Infoprint Server optional feature of z/OS that allow PSF customers who have not
licensed the z/OS Infoprint Server feature to take advantage of its Printer Inventory
to define and manage PSF printers.
PSF administrators can now more easily define and modify printer configuration
information in the Printer Inventory.
They no longer need to specify printerConfigurations in the PSF Start-up procedure,
and in the PSF Exit 7 INIT call.
Addition of AFP™ Download Plus feature to provide an automated process for
generating print-ready files and preparing them for secure transfer to another location.
This function helps you to:
- Reduce time and effort to offload print jobs, lowering operational cost for sender and receiver
- Increase the likelihood of sending an error-free job the first time
- Reduce de-bugging and synchronization between sender and receiver
- Transmit data and resources securely
See the Specifications tab for additional information.