The Software Management task (previously called Software Deployment 1) helps you streamline the software management process by providing a centralized location that you can use to manage your z/OS® platform software. With the Software Management task, you can:
- Define your z/OS platform software to z/OSMF in the form of a software instance, which can contain any software that is SMP/E packaged and installed. For example, a software instance can contain IBM software installed from ServerPac, CBPDO, or fee-based installation offerings, ISV software, z/OS subsystems, and user written software.
- Deploy z/OS platform software and maintenance using a deployment checklist, which codifies the IBM® recommended route for z/OS platform software deployment, helps reduce the incidence of errors during the installation of a deployment process, and ultimately helps reduce the skills needed for deploying z/OS platform software.
- View a list of the products, features, FMIDs, and data sets included in your software instances. 2
- Create 2, print 3, and export 3 reports about your software and installed products. For example, you can generate reports to identify software products that are approaching or have reached end of service support, to identify missing HIPER and PE fixes, and to determine if individual fixes are installed.
- Use a set of REST services to create and manage software instances programmatically.4
- As of z/OSMF V1R13 with APAR PM73833, the name of the Software Deployment task was changed to Software Management and the task was enhanced to provide additional actions on instances of SMP/E installed software.
- This capability is provided as of z/OSMF V1R13 with APAR PM73833.
- This capability is provided as of z/OSMF V2R1.
- This capability is provided as of z/OSMF V2R1 with APAR PI32158.