An updated version of OpenSSH is available with the release of IBM Ported Tools for z/OS V1.3. The V1.3 release contains an updated level of OpenSSH. The new level provided is OpenSSH 6.4p1. Note: ICSF is required to use this updated version of OpenSSH. For detailed information, see IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH User's Guide.
OpenSSH provides secure encryption for both remote login and file transfer. Some of the utilities that it includes are:
- ssh, a z/OS client program for logging into a z/OS shell. It can also be used to log into other platform's UNIX shells. It is an alternative to rlogin.
- scp for copying files between networks. It is an alternative to rcp.
- sftp for file transfers over an encrypted ssh transport. It is an interactive file transfer program similar to ftp.
- sshd, a daemon program for ssh that listens for connections from clients. The IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH implementation of sshd supports both SSH protocol versions 1 and 2 simultaneously.
Other basic utilities such as ssh-add, ssh-agent, ssh-keysign, ssh-keyscan, ssh-keygen, and sftp-server are also included.
To ensure secure encrypted communications, OpenSSH uses ciphers such as Blowfish and 3DES.
IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH provides the following z/OS extensions:
- System Authorization Facility (SAF) key ring. OpenSSH can be configured to allow OpenSSH keys to be stored in SAF key rings.
- Multilevel security. It is a security policy that allows the classification of data and users based on a system of hierarchical security levels combined with a system of non-hierarchical security categories.
- System Management Facility (SMF). OpenSSH can be configured to collect SMF Type 119 records for both the client and the server.
- ICSF ciphers and MAC algorithms. OpenSSH can be set up to use Integrated Cryptographic Service Facility (ICSF) to implement certain ciphers and MAC (message authentication code) algorithms. This extension enables OpenSSH to use hardware support when applicable and is provided by way of the PTF for APAR OA37278.
- IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH User's Guide PDF
|Get Adobe® Reader®|