Data Facility Storage Management Subsystem (DFSMS™) is a software suite that automatically manages data from creation to expiration. DFSMS provides allocation control for availability and performance, backup/recovery and disaster recovery services, space management, tape management, and reporting and simulation for performance and configuration tuning.
DFSMSdfp (Data Facility Product)
Provides storage, data, program, and device management functions and DFSMS Copy Services capabilities
- DFSMS Copy Services—DFSMSdfp through its System Data Mover Component provides DFSMS Copy Services which include:
- z/OS NFS(Network File System)—provides a way to optimize performance and efficiency in a distributed network while still capitalizing on the capacity, security, and integrity of zOS.
- Device Suport/CVAF/DADSM/ICKDSF/EREP
- OAM (Object Access Method)
- IBM TotalStorage (ETL) Expert—provides storage administrators with important, easy to access information about their Magstar 3494 Tape Libraries and Magstar Virtual Tape Servers.
DFSMSdss (Data Set Services) - An optional feature providing data movement, copy, backup, and space management functions utilizing old and new storage technologies
DFSMShsm DFSMShsm is a functional component of the DFSMS family, which provides facilities for managing your storage devices. DFSMShsm ensures that space is available on your DASD volumes, so you can extend data sets and allocate new ones. DFSMShsm makes sure that backup copies of your data sets are always available in case your working copies are lost or corrupted. It relieves you from manual storage management tasks and improves DASD use by automatically managing both space and data availability in a storage hierarchy.
DFSMShsm is a policy-driven solution to storage management, removing the requirement for batch jobs to perform backup, migration, or space retrieval functions. DFSMShsm works by rules that you can apply and have set but which are also dynamically adjustable to allow the flexibility required in today's constantly changing environments. Its flexibility allows you to manage your storage at the data set level, the device level, storage group level and copy pool level. DFSMShsm provides the means to manage every data set from the time of its creation until the time its last backup is no longer required.
DFSMSrmm (Removable Media Manager) - An optional feature providing management functions for removable media resources such as tape libraries, tape cartridges, physical, logical, and virtual volumes. The key functions provided by DFSMSrmm include:
- Tape Data Set Recording—DFSMSrmm automatically tracks and records metadata for data written to all types of tape volumes.
- Inventory Management—DFSMSrmm automatically records metadata for tape volumes used on the system, and allows you to define any tape volume, enabling your complete tape inventory be monitored and managed. DFSMSrmm supports tape volumes which are used anywhere in your enterprise, including z/VM, and those managed by IBMs Integrated Removable Media Manager for the enterprise on System z. You can easily partition your tape inventory and tape libraries and use DFSMSrmm to control which system can use the volumes.
- Life Cycle Management—DFSMSrmm provides policies to enable tape data sets and tape volumes to be managed throughout their life. You define your tape data service levels, tape technology retention criteria and DFSMSrmm automatically manages the life cycle.
- Scratch Pool Management—DFSMSrmm supports either a global scratch pool or you can define one or more specific scratch pools for non-system managed tape volumes. DFSMSrmm manages the selection of the pool, and the return of volumes back to the scratch pool once the tape data expires.
DFSMStvs (Transactional VSAM Services) is an optional priced feature that enables batch jobs and CICS online transactions to update shared VSAM data sets concurrently.
DFSORT - Separate complementary product that provides high performance, sorting, merging, copying, reporting, and analysis of data.
XRC Performance Monitor—The XRC Performance Monitor provides additional information to better manage an XRC environment and help XRC achieve the desired performance (typically measured as the latency in updating the mirrored system) at a low cost.