- Region-wide Installation Default Options
To set region-wide run-time options in CICS and IMS environments, installations can now use CEEROPT, a stand-alone run-time options module. Use of CEEROPT eliminates the need to reinstall the installation default options for every Language Environment release and maintenance fix.
- Performance Enhancements
This release of Language Environment:
- Provides a reduction in the EXEC CICS LINK path length.
- Uses less below-the-line storage
- Provides new default storage settings under CICS, reducing CPU time
- Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability Improvements
- Installations currently using system dumps can now request that Language Environment take a system-only dump without a Language Environment-formatted CEEDUMP.
- Installations can now obtain a system dump on first failure data capture prior to the Language Environment's error recovery process, using the run-time option TERMTHDACT with the UAIMM suboption.
- You can use an environment variable to add errno2 to perror() or strerror() messages.
- Eurocurrency Support
Support is provided in Language Environment for the euro, the monetary unit of the European Monetary Union (EMU) that was introduced alongside national currencies on the first of January 1999.
- Asynchronous I/O
Support is added for certain real-time signal services required to support asynchronous I/O.
- Shared Mutexes and Read-Write Locks
Compiler-writer interfaces and C functions are added to support shared mutexes and read-write locks.
- Version and Release Match
The Language Environment for OS/390 version and release numbers now match the version and release numbers of OS/390.