- Linux on System z - z/VM 6.3 Resource Overcommitment (3.07MB)
This paper provides information about the performance of virtualized environments when operated with constrained resources. Multiple types of workloads are considered, as well as the efficiency of the z/VM paging subsystem when using EDEV-SCSI based paging devices, opposed to ECKD based paging devices. It highlights the behavior of the new memory and CPU management introduced with z/VM 6.3.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 10.2.1 for Linux on System z - Performance and z/VM Resource Management (2.64MB)
This study discusses the setup and performance of a Cognos Business Intelligence (BI) server for Linux on System z running under z/VM. The tuning of some important Cognos BI server components is described and how to use the z/VM resource manager (VMRM) to manage constrained CPU resources between competing workloads.
- z/VM 6.2 Live Guest Relocation with Linux Middleware - Various Workloads (543KB)
This paper discusses the live guest relocation feature of z/VM 6.2 and focuses on how the relocation characteristics change at the workload level and how different workloads (Java™, File system, OLTP Database workloads) are affected by the relocation process. In addition, it analyzes how a live guest relocation of one workload can remedy a CPU constraint situation.
- Linux on System z and IBM FileNet P8 5.1 Setup, Performance, and Scalability (294KB)
IBM FileNet P8 provides a comprehensive, enterprise-class content lifecycle, document management, and workflow platform for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Business Process Management (BPM). This white paper presents the performance and scalability characteristics of the IBM FileNet P8 5.1 Content Engine (CE) and Process Engine (PE) in a virtualized environment running as Linux guests on z/VM on IBM System z.
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Version 8 for Linux on IBM System z – SSL Setup and Performance Study (671KB)
This study describes how the advantages of the System z cryptographic hardware features with IBM WebSphere Application Server (WAS) Version 8 for Linux on System z can be exploited when SSL encryption is used to secure the external communication. It also provides setup guidelines for Java-based workloads.
- z/VM 6.2 Live Guest Relocation with Linux Middleware (967KB)
The concepts of a z/VM cluster and Live Guest Relocation (LGR) have been introduced with z/VM Version 6.2. This paper shows the impact of LGR on a Java application and gives recommendations for configuring z/VM systems in order to optimize it.
- Oracle Database on Linux on System z - Disk I/O Connectivity Study (450KB)
This study provides guidelines for the disk configuration and tuning hints with regard to ECKD and FCP disk devices, and specifically for the Oracle standalone database using an OLTP workload. It also compares the behavior of Oracle 11g with Oracle 10g.
- Using the Linux cpuplugd Daemon to manage CPU and memory resources from z/VM Linux guests (1.19MB)
This study analyzes various rules for the Linux cpuplugd daemon, which can be used to automatically adjust CPU and memory resources of a Linux z/VM guest. An updated version of the cpuplugd daemon is available with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) SP2 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.2, which greatly enhances the capability to define rules and the available performance parameters for the rule set.
- More Performance Papers (36KB)