- z/VM 6.2 Live Guest Relocation with Linux Middleware - Various Workloads (543KB)
This paper discusses the live guest relocation feature of z/VM 6.2 and focuses on how the relocation characteristics change at the workload level and how different workloads (Java™, File system, OLTP Database workloads) are affected by the relocation process. In addition, it analyzes how a live guest relocation of one workload can remedy a CPU constraint situation.
- Linux on System z and IBM FileNet P8 5.1 Setup, Performance, and Scalability (294KB)
IBM FileNet P8 provides a comprehensive, enterprise-class content lifecycle, document management, and workflow platform for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and Business Process Management (BPM). This white paper presents the performance and scalability characteristics of the IBM FileNet P8 5.1 Content Engine (CE) and Process Engine (PE) in a virtualized environment running as Linux guests on z/VM on IBM System z.
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Version 8 for Linux on IBM System z – SSL Setup and Performance Study (671KB)
This study describes how the advantages of the System z cryptographic hardware features with IBM WebSphere Application Server (WAS) Version 8 for Linux on System z can be exploited when SSL encryption is used to secure the external communication. It also provides setup guidelines for Java-based workloads.
- z/VM 6.2 Live Guest Relocation with Linux Middleware (968KB)
The concepts of a z/VM cluster and Live Guest Relocation (LGR) have been introduced with z/VM Version 6.2. This paper shows the impact of LGR on a Java application and gives recommendations for configuring z/VM systems in order to optimize it.
- Oracle Database on Linux on System z - Disk I/O Connectivity Study (450KB)
This study provides guidelines for the disk configuration and tuning hints with regard to ECKD and FCP disk devices, and specifically for the Oracle standalone database using an OLTP workload. It also compares the behavior of Oracle 11g with Oracle 10g.
- Provisioning scenarios with IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager 7.2.2 (698KB)
The project described in this paper implements the TSAM 7.2.2 for Linux on System z to manage Linux guests on z/VM. It provides a sample installation to guide you through the installation steps and provide sizing suggestions. The results of this project can be used to establish a performance baseline.
- Using the Linux cpuplugd Daemon to manage CPU and memory resources from z/VM Linux guests (1.2MB)
This study analyzes various rules for the Linux cpuplugd daemon, which can be used to automatically adjust CPU and memory resources of a Linux z/VM guest. An updated version of the cpuplugd daemon is available with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) SP2 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.2, which greatly enhances the capability to define rules and the available performance parameters for the rule set.
- WebSphere Application Server Horizontal Versus Vertical JVM Stacking Report (608KB)
This report presents performance data for a test that compares the effects of stacking 200 WebSphere Application Servers. The question is whether it is better to host all WebSphere Application Servers on a single z/VM guest, or distribute the servers across multiple guests.
- Methods to pause a z/VM guest: Optimize the resource utilization of idling servers (1.29MB)
This technical paper analyzes the behavior of Linux z/VM guests running a WebSphere workload or a relational database (RDB) workload when they are paused and restarted in an idle phase. The Linux suspend and resume function is compared to the z/VM CP STOP and BEGIN commands.
- Oracle Real Application Clusters on Linux on IBM System z: Setup and network performance tuning (806KB)
This paper is about building and running Oracle RAC 10gR2 on SLES 10 SP2 with a z10. The system setup is presented in detail for optimal value and performance.
- Large Discontiguous Saved Segments (DCSS) Under Linux (1MB)
This paper focuses on three application areas for a large DCSS: sharing code, sharing read-only data, and using a DCSS as a swap device.
- Tivoli Provisioning Manager Version 188.8.131.52: Sizing and Capacity Planning (3.83MB)
This paper describes results for Tivoli Provisioning Manager (TPM) version 184.108.40.206 on Linux on IBM System z10 using a variety of concurrent administrator workloads.
- More Performance Papers (31.2KB)