eXFlash consists of the backplane and your choice of the number of drives and capacities as well as your choice of controller. When ordering eXFlash, be sure to identify the system to select the correct cable configuration as well as the controller based on your needs.
- IBM eXFlash technology is a server-based high-performance internal storage solution that is based on solid state drives (SSDs) and performance-optimized drive controllers (both RAID and non-RAID).
- Significantly lower implementation cost than enterprise HDDs for high performance I/O-intensive storage systems with the best IOPS/$ performance ratio
- Significantly higher performance than enterprise HDDs (up to 30 times or more) for I/O-intensive applications like databases and business analytics with up to nine times less response time
- Significant savings in power and cooling (up to 90 percent) with a high performance per watt ratio
- Significant savings in floor space with extreme performance per rack U space ratio
- Simplified management and maintenance with internal server-based configurations (no external power and information infrastructure needed
- A single eXFlash unit accommodates up to eight hot-swap SSDs, and can be connected to up to two performance-optimized controllers
Today’s data center managers are challenged with improving performance and efficiency without expanding budgets or footprints. This includes deploying more virtual machines as virtualization becomes the rule, rather than the exception, as well as increased transaction processing performance from database applications. Virtualization demands maximum memory to run the most-efficient virtual environments, and database and transaction processing applications need maximum memory capacity and bandwidth. Customers need to deliver increased performance for their applications.
A single IBM eXFlash unit has the following characteristics:
- Up to eight 1.8" hot-swap front-accessible SSDs
- Up to 240,000 random read IOPS
- Up to 2 GBps of sustained read throughput
- Up to 1.6 TB of available storage space with IBM 200 GB 1.8" eMLC SSDs or up to 400 GB with IBM 50 GB 1.8" eMLC SSDs
Each eXFlash unit occupies four 2.5" SAS hard disk drive bays. The eXFlash units can be installed in the following configurations:
- The x3850 X5 can have up to sixteen 1.8" SSDs with up to two eXFlash units (up to eight SSDs per eXFlash unit).
- Two-node x3950 X5 systems support two eXFlash units each, for a total of 32 SSDs
- The x3690 X5 can have up to twenty-four 1.8" SSDs with up to three eXFlash units (up to eight SSDs per eXFlash unit).
- The x3650 M4 can support four eXFlash units for a total of 32 SSDs
- Other IBM System x servers are configurable with eXFlash in various configurations