IBM Platform Desktop Harvesting Software
IBM Platform Desktop Harvesting software for IBM Platform Symphony can harness idle cycles from desktops and add them to the grid. By automatically adapting resources to meet demands for compute and data intensive distributed applications, run times are reduced and service levels are improved, without additional capital spending.
Never enough cycles available
For many large enterprises, grid computing is the ideal solution to handle large-scale jobs like analyzing big data. But with increasingly restrictive economic pressures, organizations like yours are looking for better ways to improve IT performance without incurring the large capital expenses required for infrastructure expansion. That means making better use of resources already in place instead of buying more.
The answer could be right on a desk
IBM® Platform™ Desktop Harvesting software for IBM Platform Symphony enables a pool of available idle desktops to be aggregated as part of the Platform Symphony grid, providing additional capacity when desktops are idle. Unused or underutilized desktops are automatically opened and become candidates to run Platform Symphony tasks. Platform Desktop Harvesting is an optional add-on available for both the Standard and Advanced editions of Platform Symphony.
To eliminate any loss of productivity for desktop users, Platform Desktop Harvesting software allows a multitude of threshold options for your configuration, so desktop CPU cycles are only available to the grid when you choose.
Get more resources with less spending
Once you've configured which desktops you want to make available when they're idle or underutilized, Platform Desktop Harvesting can add them to increase the compute resources of the Platform Symphony grid. And you get the benefits.
- Maximizes use of available cycles both on and off peak hours
- Avoids interfering with desktop user activities
- Completes time-critical workloads more quickly
- Increases overall cluster efficiency
- Simplifies administration; policies are applied as one to a group of harvestable resources
You choose the definition of “idle”
Platform Symphony Desktop Harvesting delivers total control of which desktops are used and gives you complete flexibility to define when desktops are idle and available to the Platform Symphony grid.
- User idle time: In this scenario, when a desktop screensaver is invoked due to lack of use, the desktop can become available to the grid for other processing duties.
- Adjusted CPU utilization: When the CPU usage level reaches the threshold you define, it becomes a candidate for addition to the grid.
- CPU idle time: Used in conjunction with the function above, this setting allows you to configure a period of time to wait after the CPU utilization threshold has been met before becoming available to the grid.
- Exempt processes: This allows you to exclude a number of processes from the CPU utilization threshold (for example, a virus scan). The availability for use on the grid can take precedence over the desktop process.
Apr 09 - The Expo provides the perfect venue to share information and discuss enabling technologies that are driving biomedical research and the drug development process. Visit IBM booth 237 to learn more about computing solutions for life sciences. Boston, MA
Jun 10 - In just a few high-powered days, you can connect with IT leaders and practitioners from all industries to discover new innovations and learn industry best practices for managing storage growth, accelerate and optimize x86 server and cloud deployments, unlock insights from big data and secure critical information. Las Vegas, NV