IBM Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS offers vital data protection while helping to increase data availability. With effective auditing tools, secure recovery, and improved day-to-day management, you can access your data, even in the event of problems in the IT environment ranging from simple human errors to natural disasters. Effective catalog management requires the best tools available to ensure that key data assets are protected and can be recovered in any event.
Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS is designed to provide backup and restore facilities that provide high integrity and fast processing.
IBM Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS assures the entire ICF catalog environment is protected to minimize outages and reduce recovery time. Its backup and recovery capabilities and high availability features help to maintain integrity and optimize business resiliency.
IBM Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS is sold under the IBM Program number of 5698-A95. Details on ordering and pricing information can be found in Announcement 209-147 dated June 9, 2009.
Improvements added in IBM Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management for z/OS, V2.2:
- Ability to split and merge ICF catalog entries nondisruptively, helping to improve application availability
- Ability to take additional actions through the Tivoli Enterprise Portal (TEP) interface
- Additional diagnostics for the logical structure of the basic catalog structures (BCS) to help find and correct errors
- Improved DASD space utilization when creating backup files
- Enhanced reporting to show subtotals when using break fields
- Backup and restore facilities that provide high integrity and fast processing.
- A forward recovery facility for BCS and VVDS catalog structures that use SMF data, merged with backup records, to update the BCS and VVDS from the time of the backup to the current time.
- A full-function backup and restore facility for VSAM files that allows attribute changes during recovery and can back up damaged KSDS data sets.
- An expanded diagnostic facility that enables frequent health checks of the BCS, VVDS, VTOC, and tape management catalog structures. This facility contains an audit-check and 'fix' capability to resynchronize entries that are in error.
- A fast and safe "MERGECAT" facility that enables moving or copying of individual BCS entries, alias groups of BCS entries, or entire catalogs.
- A fast and safe split/merge facility that enables moving or copying of individual BCS entries, alias groups of BCS entries, or entire catalogs.
- The "Reorg While Open" and "Repair While Open" features reorganize and repair ICF catalogs while applications are still active. These high availability features can save hours of application downtime over traditional tools.
- The feature to allow reorganization and repair of, and attribute changes for ICF catalogs while applications are still active. These high availability features can save hours of application downtime over traditional tools.
- A diagnostic set of commands that provides a safe and easy-to-use AMASPZAP-like facility to delete, print, and update BCS, VVDS, VTOC and VSAM data set structures.
- A powerful facility that allows users to change the VOLSER of online DASD volumes in a single command, without requiring the user to unload and reload all data on the volume.
- A set of commands that provide several BCS/VVDS facilities which include VOLSER changes to BCS records and BCS back pointer correction in the VVDS.
- Search and reporting functions that provide a powerful, high-performance search facility with extensive dataset naming and file attribute filters to identify datasets of interest.
- A simulation feature on most commands that enable users to check critical catalog changes in advance in order to determine the effect of the command before it is run.
- A journaling facility for certain critical commands which can enable a 'restart' or 'backout' option in the event of a failure or interruption during the execution of the command.