A wide range of IBM® System Storage® midsized and enterprise storage area network (SAN) IT simplification and business continuity solutions can be created with the Cisco MDS 9222i for IBM System Storage multiservice modular switch. Infrastructure simplification solutions for the IBM Power Systems™, IBM System i®, IBM System p®, IBM System x™ and IBM System z® families of servers include storage consolidation and high-availability server clustering with System Storage disk storage arrays. Business continuity solutions include data protection with System Storage tape libraries and devices and IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager data protection software; and disaster protection with IBM System Storage disk metro and global mirroring disaster recovery solutions.
- Multiservice design for high performance business continuity solutions with Windows, UNIX, Linux, NetWare, IBM OS/400® and IBM z/OS® servers
- Modular design provides “pay-as-you-grow” scalability and configuration flexibility
- Storage media encryption (SME) for secure encryption of data stored on heterogeneous tapes, virtual tape libraries, and disk arrays
- Intelligent network services such as virtual SAN (VSAN) capability for SAN consolidation into virtual SAN islands on a single physical fabric
- Enterprise, Mainframe and Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) Advanced Packages provide added intelligence and value
Cisco MDS 9222i for medium-sized businesses and large enterprises
The Cisco MDS 9222i for IBM System Storage® is designed to address the needs of medium-sized and large enterprises with a wide range of storage area network (SAN) capabilities. It can be used as a cost-effective high performance SAN extension over IP router switch for midrange midsize customers in support of IT simplification, replication, disaster recovery and business continuity solutions. It can also provide remote site device aggregation and SAN extension connectivity to large customer data center directors.
While the Cisco MDS 9222i is the foundation of midsized business continuity solutions, it can also be configured as a component of global business continuity solution for remote site device aggregation for consolidated wide area network (WAN) connectivity to data center enterprise directors. Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS firmware provides enterprise-class capabilities such as virtual SANs (VSANs), PortChannel, quality of service (QoS) and security for deployment in this type of enterprise SAN solution. The Cisco MDS 9222i includes SAN Extension over IP and FCIP Inter-VSAN routing firmware, which is designed to isolate remote site and WAN link events from local site operations.
- Enables simple-to-use medium-size and enterprise IT simplification and business continuity SAN solutions
- Designed for high-performance with 4 Gbps fabric switch ports; Gigabit Ethernet SAN extension over IP ports and optional 8 Gbps fabric switch ports or 10 Gbps ISL ports for remote device aggregation for connection to data center enterprise directors and switches
- Modular design with wide range features provides flexible Fibre Channel switching; IP services and storage services configurations
- Designed to support high availability with redundant, hot-swappable fans and power supplies and non-disruptive firmware upgrades
- Cisco MDS 9000 for IBM System Storage switches, SAN routers and directors use common switch firmware, which helps simplify SAN fabric expansion and management
- Base switch includes eighteen 4 Gbps Fibre Channel ports with two shortwave SFPs; 4-port GbE IP (no optics) with SAN Extension over IP; dual swappable power supplies and cooling fans; and SAN-OS 3.2 firmware with Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM), virtual SAN (VSAN) and PortChannel capabilities
- Modular switch design with wide range features provides flexible Fibre Channel switching; IP services and storage services configurations
- Each fabric port can auto-negotiate to 1, 2 or 4 Gbps speed depending on the speed of the device at the other end of the link
- Optional 8 Gbps FC switch ports support optical SFP+ transceivers and 10 Gbps ISL ports support optical X2 transceivers for edge switch attachment to Cisco MDS 9500 directors
- SAN extension with high performance FCIP acceleration and hardware based compression capabilities and security with hardware-based encryption