- Accelerate mission-critical applications up to two times1 with next-generation design and enterprise-class flash configurations
- Deliver 24x7 access to data and applications with more than six nines availability2 through bulletproof data systems and industry-leading capabilities
- Enable your data center for systems of insight and cloud environments with unparalleled integration with IBM® z Systems™ and IBM Power® servers
- Streamline operations and reduce cost with next-generation systems in a wide range of configurations, delivering a 30 percent smaller footprint3
Innovative IT leaders are becoming the trusted service provider for their enterprises, moving quickly to deliver value across the ecosystem, enabling new services and business models. Achieving these goals requires a new perspective on the critical capabilities needed to empower business leaders. As organizations start to move at an ever-faster pace, they are required to gain insights faster, protect critical data, eliminate downtime and avoid business risk—all at the same time.
IBM storage systems have become imperative to helping IT leaders manage the changing conditions in the modern enterprise, including the dynamic demands of cloud, mobile, social and analytics strategies.
As IBM systems continue to expand into new workloads, IBM is introducing a new family of business-critical hybrid flash data systems to support the latest requirements. The new IBM DS8880 family is powered by the proven IBM DS8000® enterprise software platform and delivers mission-critical acceleration, uncompromising availability, unparalleled integration with IBM servers and transformational efficiency through industry-leading capabilities.
DS8880 is an enterprise storage system designed to enable your infrastructure for systems of insight with high-performance, high-capacity, secure storage for the most demanding mission-critical environments.
- Deep integration with IBM z Systems, IBM Power servers and IBM database software delivers true value for systems of insight and cloud environments.
- High-Performance Flash Enclosure (HPFE): integration and optimization of flash technology enable mission-critical performance and transformational efficiency for optimized economics.
- Advanced drive tiering helps to automatically optimize performance and the cost of single- and multi-tier systems.
- Flexible drive options include enterprise spinning drives, nearline drives, flash drives and ultra-fast flash cards (with HPFE).
- High-capacity cache and intelligent caching algorithms accelerate performance.
- Fully redundant design for more than six-nines availability‡ is built upon market-proven IBM Power Systems architecture.
- IBM FlashCopy, Metro Mirror, Global Mirror, Metro/Global Mirror, Global Copy and Multiple Target Peer-to-Peer Remote Copy (MT-PPRC) provide flexible replication services to address business-continuity needs.
- Storage Pool Striping and flash drives can virtually eliminate disk “hot spots.”
- I/O Priority Manager automates quality of service (QoS) for all application volumes.
- Data system efficiency features such as thin provisioning, Dynamic Volume Expansion, Easy Tier and automated data rebalancing can lower acquisition and operating costs.
- An intuitive graphical user interface simplifies and centralizes management, enabling more effective consolidation.
- Self-encrypting drives and standards-based key manager provide advanced protection of data at rest with virtually no impact on performance.
- Controllers: Multiple IBM Power8-based symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) servers.
- Flexible flash configurations for ultra-fast data access with proven extreme resiliency for mission-critical environments.
- Host adapter controllers: 4- and 8-port 8 Gbps or 4 port 16 Gbps Fibre Channel/IBM FICON; scalable from 2 to 32 adapters and up to 128 ports.
- Drive adapter controllers: Up to 16 4-port, 8 Gbps Fibre Channel adapters.
- Drive options: Enterprise flash drives, flash cards (HPFE), enterprise 15k rpm and 10k rpm drives, 7.2k rpm nearline drives; scalable from 8 to 1,776 peripherals.
- Processor memory: Cache and nonvolatile storage scalable up to 2 TB.
- Scalability: From 3 TB to more than 3 PB of physical storage capacity.
- IBM DS8884: Business class system.
Enables organizations to overcome storage challenges with advanced, easy-to-use operations and 24x7 availability for running critical workloads, either as a dedicated platform for consolidated systems or for multiple platforms. Delivered within an affordable, flexible and space-saving package. Up to 256 GB cache, 64 x 16 GB Fibre Channel/FICON ports and up to 768 HDD/SSD drives, plus 120 flash cards.
- IBM DS8886: Enterprise class system. Helps accelerate mission-critical applications with up to two times better performance backed by 24x7 availability and superior functionality, all provided in an easily scalable package. Up to 2 TB total system memory, 128 x 16 GB Fibre Channel/FICON ports and up to 1,536 HDD/SSD drives, plus 240 flash cards.
1 Measurements taken from IBM internal performance benchmark results.
2 Six-nines is a term used to denote that a piece of equipment is functioning with 99.9999 percent availability (31.5 seconds of downtime per year), on average.
3 Based on internal IBM measurements comparing IBM DS8870 to IBM DS8880 footprint and energy usage.
‡ IBM internal performance benchmark results. Six-nines is a term used to denote that a piece of equipment is functioning with 99.9999 percent availability (31.5 seconds of downtime per year), on average.