Organizations of all sizes need to improve IT efficiency to reduce operational expense and allow increased innovation. IBM Flex System solutions can help you consolidate your infrastructure and support innovative solutions such as social, mobile and big data analytics. With IBM Flex System, you get the flexibility to innovate while still choosing the best architecture for your applications. And with recent announcements, you get even more choice, supporting consolidation efficiency across all infrastructure - not just servers - so you can reduce operational expense and free up resources for innovation.
IBM Flex System
Custom-build infrastructure to your requirements
IBM Flex System represents an entirely new generation of technology, with more performance and bandwidth, true integrated enterprise SAN storage, and far more capability to consolidate and virtualize than previous systems. A game changer.
Businesses around the world have a timely opportunity to move forward beyond blade servers, transforming the data center by bringing together servers, networking, and storage – all under integrated management – with IBM Flex System.
Your business needs an infrastructure solution with a flexible architecture to support your needs today, but also designed to support multiple generations of future technologies. You need simple, integrated management to keep operational costs down, but you also want a no-compromise design with long-term investment protection.
Whether you need to migrate an existing blade server infrastructure to simplify management and improve performance and flexibility, or implement new workloads, a converged infrastructure like IBM Flex System can meet your needs.
Browse IBM Flex System elements
Starting with an innovative chassis designed for new levels of simplicity, reliability, and upgradability, IBM Flex System can help you go beyond blade servers. With a broad range of x86 and IBM POWER compute nodes, the Flex System V7000 storage node, enhanced networking capabilities and sophisticated system management capabilities, you can upgrade your existing blade server system to this converged infrastructure to make your IT simpler, more flexible, more open, and more efficient.
Spotlight on IBM Flex System
New IBM Flex System Communication Module.
Dare to compare
Find out how Cisco’s UCS compares to IBM Flex System.
Dare to compare
Why IBM Flex System is the best blade solution on the market.
IBM Flex System x240 delivers virtualization performance over the competition.
IBM Flex System
IBM Flex System Manager for Android, Blackberry and iOS.
Go beyond blade servers with IBM Flex System
Compute nodes that go beyond blade servers
- Price-optimized entry nodes to performance-optimized 4-socket nodes for your most demanding applications
- Available with the highest capability processors and industry-leading memory capability for x86-based compute nodes and the latest IBM® POWER® and POWER7+™ processors for maximum performance and efficiency
- Double-dense design can support the equivalent of 28 nodes per IBM Flex System™ Enterprise Chassis
- Storage capabilities optimized for efficiency and performance
- Optional IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node offers storage virtualization, Real-time Compression™ to reduce capacity needs, and IBM Easy Tier® to optimize data placement
- Up to 2x more dedicated flash storage for compute nodes compared to Dell1
Networking capabilities designed for virtualization and cloud
- High-performance Ethernet and converged options using EN4093R, SI4093 and CN4093 modules. Clients also have capability to implement end-to-end 40 GB Ethernet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) switch to fit into your current infrastructure while supporting next generation capabilities
- Fibre Channel switches ranging from low-cost 8Gb solutions to highly scalable 16Gb switches for maximum performance
- Flex System Fabric, designed to help simplify connectivity of your LAN and SAN infrastructure
- InfiniBand switches and adapters to support the bandwidth and latency requirements for high performance computing and financial trading environments
Storage capabilities optimized for efficiency and performance
- Simplified storage administration with a single storage management user interface incorporated into the integrated system manager
- Virtualize third-party storage with non-disruptive migration of current storage infrastructure
- The IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node is built on the industry-leading storage virtualization and efficiency capabilities of IBM Storwize® V7000 and enables external virtualization, consolidation and tiering, and is designed to improve application availability and resource utilization
- The IBM Flex System Storage Expansion Node provides dedicated hard disk drives (HDDs) or solid state disk (SSD) storage to an IBM Flex System x220 and x240 compute node, expanding the compute node’s capability
The community speaks
"Implementing the IBM Flex System solution was a smooth and painless experience, overall….The inherent interoperability of the Flex System platform makes it ideal for cloud services providers like us – providing optimal performance for a range of customer applications such as Microsoft software, ERP systems and various databases."
- René Jeppesen, Sales Manager, IT Relation A/S
"With Flex System, we feel data- and cloud-ready, and we now have a solid data recovery program. The system is centralized, secure and scalable, plus applications run faster. We can prepare for the future with a clear product roadmap."
- Chris McIntyre, vice president of IT, Bank of Utah
"In 20 years of working with IT solutions, the IBM Flex System Manager is the easiest and most comprehensive management console I have seen,” says Lindahl. “It has transformed our approach to IT management, enabling us to forget about the back-end systems and instead focus on developing innovative new services to support the business. We noticed the other day that we have not been down to the server rooms in over a year except to deploy new components!"
- Mattias Lindahl, IT Manager, ProfilGruppen
"IBM Flex System was our first choice for delivering high performance within the cloud. The KVM technology helps decrease our licensing costs, so we can be more competitive in our cloud pricing for customers. At the same time, KVM provides all the technical functions we need."
- Goran Djoreski, chief executive officer, Altus IT
"Citrix XenDesktop on IBM Flex Systems allows customers to rapidly deploy proven market leading desktop virtualization solutions and go from concept to implementation with increased speed and flexibility."
- Krishna Subramanian, VP Marketing & Business Development, Citrix
There are many more voices describing the benefits of IBM PureFlex System and IBM Flex System.
Smarter Computing: What's Next for IT Video Debate. Oct 29 | 1PM EDT
IT experts tackle open standards, OpenStack and community development.
Join us on Twitter: #SCdebate