- Simplified virtualization management for IBM® Power Systems™
- Easily replicate virtual machines for consistency and fast deployment
- Automated configuration of I/O resources enables mobility and highly available configurations
IBM PowerVC™ Virtualization Center is an advanced virtualization management offering, built on OpenStack, that provides simplified virtualization management for IBM AIX®, IBM i and Linux virtual machines (VMs) running on IBM Power Systems. PowerVC is designed to improve administrator productivity and simplify the management of VMs and LPARs on Power Systems servers. PowerVC provides the foundation for Power Systems scalable cloud management, including integration to higher-level cloud managers based on OpenStack technology.
PowerVC helps Power Systems customers lower their total cost of ownership with a simplified user experience that allows simple deployment and movement of workloads and policies to maximize resource utilization. PowerVC has been built to require little or no training to accelerate virtualization on Power Systems. PowerVC has the capability to manage the existing infrastructure by automatically capturing information, such as existing VM definitions, storage, network and server configuration information.
PowerVC allows clients to capture and manage a library of VM images, enabling IT managers to quickly deploy a VM environment by launching a stored image of that environment, instead of having to manually recreate a particular environment. By saving virtual images and centralizing image management, IT managers and administrators can migrate and move virtual images to available systems to expedite deployment.
PowerVC allows IT managers and administrators to create groups of resources that are needed to support workloads. These can then be quickly leveraged to support workload demands to increase utilization and help lower administrative costs, while making IT more nimble when reacting to business needs and market trends.
The architecture of PowerVC uses the OpenStack platform to provide virtualization management customized for Power Systems. This includes an IBM Power®-specific user interface, and IBM-specific OpenStack drivers for Power Systems management interfaces like the hardware management console (HMC), plus scheduling capabilities. Clients looking for a fully open virtualized infrastructure can use PowerVC to manage their PowerKVM on Power deployments as well.
PowerVC is available in a single Standard edition which manages systems virtualized by either PowerVM or PowerKVM. When PowerVC manages PowerVM based systems, there are two choices for management, managing through the HMC via REST api s or managing directly to the host using PowerVM NovaLink.
Additionally, PowerVC offers the following value to clients:
- Installation and configuration for the entire hardware stack (host, storage and network) and software stack (PowerVC components)
- Can be installed and configured in hours by administrators of any skill level
- Small footprint and excellent client experience throughout the solution lifecycle, including deployment, operation and support
- Reliable, extendable and cost-effective platform that provides virtualization and cloud capabilities for Power Systems
- Industry-standard APIs that are extendable for adding on higher level cloud capabilities on Power Systems
- A simple to operate and maintain virtualization management solution for both PowerVM and PowerKVM
- Dynamically balances workloads based on policy-based optimization by either moving resources to workloads or by moving workloads to underutilized systems
With IBM® PowerVC, you can do the following: