Why is the IBM i Access family right for my business?
With IBM i you have everything you need to run your business applications in an integrated single system. For example:
- The database, security, performance tuning, backup, reporting, communications, Internet connectivity and file and print serving are built in.
- The IBM i platform is designed to be easy to operate and maintain.
- Based on open standards, IBM i also gives you broader choices and a greater capability to use the system you already have instead of buying a new server for every new application.
So it definitely makes good sense to also use a desktop connectivity product that has the same goals. For example:
- IBM i Access provides access to the IBM i, to its file system, to printers and printer output. It supports the IBM i operating system security, communications, and Internet connectivity.
- IBM i Access provides simple, easy-to-use interfaces in terminology familiar to the IBM i platform.
- IBM i Access supports open standards for connectivity, authentication, security, and database so desktop users can easily access all resources on their IBM i.
- IBM i Access continues to expand its offerings so that any desktop user on any desktop operating system can connect to IBM i.
Other key benefits of using IBM i Access are:
- IBM i Access is a single offering with many alternatives included which reduces your cost and simplifies migration between desktop offerings.
- No separate fee for software upgrade and maintenance protection as IBM i Access is covered by the same software maintenance offering as is IBM i.
- Since IBM i Access builds solutions for IBM i only, it is most often the "first" to deliver new IBM i operating system functionality to desktop users.
- IBM i Access uses the same support structure and fix mechanism as the IBM i operating system so it is familiar to IBM i administrators.
IBM i Access Family includes many alternatives for you to use to work with your business applications and resources on IBM i. For example:
- Its web-based solution enables desktop users to connect to IBM i through their browsers. This option requires no special software to be installed or configured on the desktop. The desktop users can start up any browser (for example, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla, or Opera, and have the same look-and-feel when connecting to IBM i. Additionally, the actual desktop operating system is completely transparent; thus allowing users with many dissimilar desktop operating systems to connect to IBM i and see same presentation.
- Its Windows-based solution provides more functional capabilities for the IBM i environment than any other Windows-based product in the marketplace. Not only does it provide a very high-function 5250 native Windows emulator, but it also provides key database access through an easy-to-use GUI. It also provides drivers (such as ODBC, OLDB, and .NET) so Windows applications can access i5/OS resources. It also contains the System i Navigator functions which is the system management GUI for IBM i.
- For users wanting a desktop operating system alternative to Windows, IBM i Access provides a solution that runs natively on Linux operating systems. It provides many similar capabilities to its Windows counterpart.
- For wireless users, IBM i Access also provides options to assist system operators, and programmers wishing to build solutions for handheld devices. It also enables users to run applications on IBM i through 5250 emulation.