AIX® Toolbox for Linux® Applications contains a collection of open source and GNU software built for AIX IBM Systems. These tools provide the basis of the development environment of choice for many Linux application developers. All the tools are packaged using the easy to install RPM format. There is a strong affinity between Linux and AIX for applications. The AIX operating system (OS) has a long history of standards compliance and it is generally straightforward to rebuild Linux applications for AIX. The AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications demonstrates the strong affinity between Linux and AIX operating systems.
This software is offered on an "as-is" basis. Refer to the licensing and installation instructions for further information.
Uses of AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications:
- Build and package Linux applications for use on AIX
- Run Gnome and KDE desktops
- Run other popular software commonly found in Linux distributions
- Manage open source software using the popular RPM package management system
- Develop new applications for the AIX OS using GNU and Linux application development tools
The AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications contains a wide variety of software, including but not limited to :
- Application Development - gcc, g++, gdb, rpm, cvs, automake, autoconf, libtool, bison, flex, gettext
- Desktop Environments - Gnome and KDE
- GNU base utilities - gawk, m4, indent, sed, tar, diffutils, findutils, grep, coreutils
- Programming Languages - guile, python, tcl/tk, rep-gtk
- System Utilities - emacs, vim, bzip2, gzip, git, elm, ncftp, rsync, wget, lsof, less, samba, zip, unzip, zoo
- Graphics Applications - ImageMagick, transfig, xfig, xpdf, ghostscript, gv, mpage,Gimp
- Libraries - ncurses, readline, libtiff, libpng, libjpeg, slang, fnlib, db, gtk+, qt
- System Shells - bash, tcsh, zsh
- Window Managers - metacity, enlightenment
For more information and to download the AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications.