IBM i running on an IBM POWER® processor-based blade delivers a scalable and virus resistant architecture with a proven reputation for exceptional business resiliency. IBM i is an integrated operating system with a trusted combination of relational database, security, Web services, networking and storage management capabilities. The IBM BladeCenter® innovative, open design offers a true alternative to a traditional rack/tower server and can help you use your space more efficiently, dramatically reducing cabling between servers, storage and networking and save on energy costs
For i clients, IBM offers the i Edition Express for BladeCenter S which is the perfect alternative to a traditional rack or tower server with comparable starting prices and enables clients to run their i applications and consolidate x86 servers into a single BladeCenter S chassis.
The i Edition Express for BladeCenter S is a complete integrated business system that offers an attractive alternative for existing small and midsized IBM i clients to reduce IT costs and complexity by consolidating their IBM i and Windows® applications with an IBM BladeCenter solution.
The i Edition Express for BladeCenter S is the perfect alternative to a traditional rack or tower server with comparable starting prices and enables clients to run their i applications and consolidate x86 servers into a single BladeCenter S chassis that supports up to six blades and over 7 terabytes of disk storage. And, with a 3-year warranty included, the lease price of the new solution will often be less than what many i clients pay today.
You can achieve even higher value by consolidating existing x86 servers onto x86 blades in the same BladeCenter S chassis for centralized management, resource sharing, common leasing and 3-year warranty terms.
Simplify. Cut costs. Boost productivity. Go green. They're all priorities for IT, and they're all driving organizations to rethink their server strategies and become more receptive to new ways to use IT. Blades are the next-generation solution, promising improvements across the board. IBM BladeCenter's innovative, open design offers a true alternative to a traditional rack/tower server and can help you use your space more efficiently and save on energy costs. So toss your cables and take the leap. Migrate to the blade solution that uses less energy and gives you more choices and control. You have nothing to lose but complexity. IBM BladeCenter is the right choice. Open. Easy. Green.
- Reduce space requirements for your servers
- Minimize IT staff needed to manage your application environment
- Easily grow and expand as your requirements change
- Save energy through reduced power consumption compared to rack servers
i Edition Express for BladeCenter S benefits
- An optimized configuration combining a JS12 or PS700 blade, IBM i, and BladeCenter S chassis
- Configuration optimized for i and includes one processor entitlement, 10 users, one year SWMA, and three year hardware warranty
- Configuration easily upgraded with additional blades or options
- Ideal solution for consolidation of i and Windows Server operating environments
- Starting price comparable to Power Systems rack/tower servers configured for i
i Edition for BladeCenter S with RAID
- An optimized configuration combining a JS12 or PS700 blade, IBM i, and a BladeCenter S chassis with RAID support
- Includes two RAID SAS Switches to protect IBM i and x86 environments which supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 for the 12 disk drives in the BladeCenter S chassis
- Pre-load of an optimized configuration of i and includes one processor entitlement, 10 users, one year SWMA, and three year hardware warranty
- Configuration easily upgraded with additional blades or options and is the ideal solution for consolidation of i and Windows Server operating environments
- IBM i is offered with per processor and per user entitlements. When IBM i is selected on an IBM BladeCenter, at least one IBM i processor entitlement must be purchased and at least 10 user entitlements. Additional IBM i user entitlements can be purchased in blocks of 10 users. The Unlimited users, External users, and Unlimited Collaboration users options can also be purchased.
- IBM i uses IBM PowerVM which includes the POWER Hypervisor, Micro-Partitioning, Virtual I/O Server with Integrated Virtualization Manager, Lx86, and Virtual LAN features. The IBM i operating system uses the Virtual I/O Server (VIOS) partition for access to BladeCenter resources and attached storage devices. The VIOS partition owns the Fiber, Ethernet and SAS adapters on the blade and virtualizes the resources to the IBM i partition. IVM is used to create and manage partitions on the blade.
- An IBM i processor entitlement is required for each processor core running IBM i. If the BladeCenter blade is partitioned with one processor core for VIOS and one processor core for IBM i, then one IBM processor entitlement is required.
- With the purchase of IBM i on a BladeCenter you are entitled to receive a service voucher at no additional charge. Services vouchers deliver the technical leadership and consulting resources that can help you more fully understand and use the latest features and capabilities of IBM i operating system. Technical experts will join your team and get you started on the road to success with your new operating environment. The service voucher is not available with i Edition Express for BladeCenter S configurations.
- IBM i supports the following System Storage disk solutions with BladeCenter Configurations:
- BladeCenter S: DS3200 with used with SAS Connectivity Module (#3267).
- BladeCenter H: DS3400, DS4700, DS4800, DS5020, DS5100, DS5300, DS8100, DS8300, XIV, and SAN Volume Controller (SVC).
- The CBU designation can help meet your requirements for a second system to use for backup, high availability, and disaster recovery. It enables you to temporarily transfer IBM i processor entitlements and IBM i user entitlements purchased for a primary machine to a secondary CBU system. Temporarily transferring these resources, instead of purchasing them for a secondary system, may result in significant savings.
- The CBU specify feature #4898 for the BladeCenter offerings are available as part of a new blade purchase. These CBU features cannot be added to an existing blade server.
- Certain system prerequisites must be met and system registration and approval is required before the CBU specify feature can be applied on a new server.
- Standard IBM i terms and conditions do not allow either IBM i processor entitlements or IBM i user entitlements to be transferred permanently or temporarily. These entitlements remain with the machine they were ordered for. When you register the association between a primary and on-order CBU system, the customer must agree to certain terms and conditions regarding the temporary transfer.
- After a CBU system designation is approved and the system is installed, you can temporarily move your optional IBM i processor entitlement and user entitlements from the primary system to the CBU system for any purpose provided the corresponding primary system processors are not being used concurrently for production purposes. The CBU system can therefore better support failover and role swapping for a full range of test, disaster recovery, and high availability scenarios. Temporary entitlement transfer means that the entitlement is a property transferred from the primary system to the CBU system and may remain in use on the CBU as long as the registered primary and CBU systems are in deployment for the high availability or disaster recovery operation.
|CBU for i Environments||Eligible Primaries|
|PS702 or PS701 8406-71Y
Specify code 4898
|PS702 or PS701 8406-71Y
Specify code 4898
|PS702 or PS701 8406-71Y
Specify code 4898
Specify code 4898
- These systems have IBM i software licenses with an IBM i P05 or P10 software tier. The primary machine must be in the same enterprise and country as the CBU system.
- Before you can temporarily transfer IBM i processor entitlements from the registered primary system, you must have more than one IBM i processor entitlement on the primary machine and at least one IBM i processor entitlement on the CBU server. You can then transfer any IBM i processor entitlements above the minimum one, assuming the total IBM i workload on the primary system does not require the IBM i entitlement that you want to transfer during the time of the transfer. During this temporary transfer, the CBU system's internal records of its total number of IBM i processor entitlements are not updated, and you may see IBM i license noncompliance warning messages from the CBU system. These warning messages in this situation do not mean you are not in compliance. The BladeCenter high availability options include PowerHA with Geographic Mirroring, iCluster and iClusterSMB. You may also use Metro Mirror or Global Mirror replication solutions provided by the storage subsystem as well as other 3rd party software replication packages.
- Before you can temporarily transfer IBM i user entitlements, you must have more than 10 IBM i user entitlements on the BladeCenter primary server and at least 10 IBM i user entitlements on the CBU server. You can then transfer any IBM i user entitlements above the minimum 10, assuming the total IBM i users on the primary system do not require the IBM i user entitlement you want to transfer during the time of the transfer.
- For example, if you have a JS12 as your primary system with two IBM i processor entitlements (one above the minimum) and 50 IBM i user entitlements (40 above the minimum), you can temporarily transfer up to one IBM i processor entitlement and up to 40 user entitlements. During this temporary transfer, the CBU system's internal records of its total number of IBM i processor and user entitlements is not updated, and you may see IBM i license noncompliance warning messages from the CBU system.
- If your primary or CBU machine is sold or discontinued from use, any temporary entitlement transfers must be returned to the machine on which they were originally acquired.
- For CBU registration and further details, visit www.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/cbu.