- Enable storage area network (SAN) tiering with support for mixed Fibre Channel (FC)/Internet small computer system interface (iSCSI) interfaces
- Support virtualisation/consolidation with balanced performance
- Support low power, fast solid-state disks (SSDs)
- Secure data throughout the drive’s lifecycle with self-encrypting drives (SEDs)
- Intermix FC, SED, serial advanced technology attachment (SATA), FC-SAS (serial advanced technology attachement), FC-SAS nearline and SSDs for cost-effective tiered storage
- Maximise use and minimise storage total cost of ownership (TCO) with feature-rich management software
- Ensure confidence with key application certifications
- Support IBM® AIX and IBM Power Systems T10-PI Data Integrity Initiative.
- Simplify infrastructure with next-generation 8 Gbps FC interfaces
- Consolidate storage at lower cost
- Provide trusted storage that protects and delivers data when needed
- Centrally manage the system using IBM System Storage DS Storage Manager
- Support up to 112 disk drive modules with the attachment of 6 EXP520 expansion units.
Optimised data management requires storage solutions with high data availability, strong storage management capabilities and powerful performance features. IBM System Storage DS5020 Express is designed to provide low total cost of ownership, high performance, robust functionality and unparalleled ease of use. As part of the System Storage DS5000 series storage system, DS5020 Express offers:
- High-performance 8 gigabits per second (Gbps)-capable FC connections
- Optional 1 Gbps iSCSI interface
- Up to 336 terabytes (TB) of physical storage capacity with 112 FC-SAS nearline (3 TB) disk drives
- Powerful system management, data management and data protection features.
Achieve a low total cost of ownership
Facing relentless data growth and shrinking budgets, organisations continue to look for ways to improve efficiency and reduce costs. Utilising 8 Gbps FC connections allows companies to reduce the number of host bus adapters per server and the number of overall ports in their FC storage area network (SAN) infrastructure without sacrificing performance, thus saving acquisition and operational costs.
Additionally, auto-negotiating 8 Gbps FC interfaces allow DS5020 Express to integrate seamlessly into an existing 2 Gbps or 4 Gbps infrastructure, while offering investment protection going forward when the SAN inevitably becomes 8 Gbps.
The system is designed to help you avoid over-configuration for an affordable entry-point while offering seamless 'pay-as-you-grow' scalability as requirements change. Its efficient storage use is designed to reduce raw capacity requirements. The ability to intermix high-performance and high-capacity drives enables tiered storage in a single enclosure. These extraordinary abilities reduce the number of drives needed to meet performance and capacity demands and can significantly reduce acquisition and operational costs.
- Dynamic capacity expansion
- System Storage DS Storage Manager Software
- IBM FlashCopy to take point-in-time copies of logical volumes
- Dynamic volume expansion
- VolumeCopy feature designed to provide full replication of one logical volume to another
- Enhanced Remote Mirroring to multi-logical unit number (LUN) applications
- Hot-spare disk drives
- Up to 4 GB cache battery-backed
- Model 20A has 8 host ports and 4 drive ports-FC switched and FC Arbitrated Loop standard, auto-sensing 2 Gbps/4 Gbps, optional 1 Gbps iSCSI interface
- Drives supported:
- – 4 Gbps FC full disk encryption (FDE): 300 GB, 450 GB and 600 GB 15k revolutions per minute (rpm)
- – 6 Gbps FC-SAS: 300 GB, 600 GB and 900 GB 10k rpm
- – 6 Gbps FC-SAS FDE: 300 GB and 900 GB 10k rpm
- – FC-SAS: 300 GB 15k rpm
- – FC-SAS FDE: 300 GB 15k rpm
SSD*: 200 GB and 400 GB
- – 4 Gbps serial advanced technology attachment (SATA): 1 TB and 2 TB 7.2k rpm
- – 6 Gbps FC-SAS nearline: 3 TB 7.2k rpm
- – 6 Gbps FC-SAS nearline FDE: 3 TB 7.2k rpm
- Redundant array of independent disks (RAID) level 0, 1, 3, 5, 6 and 10 support
- Up to 128 storage partitions
- 112 FC drives (using 6 EXP520 expansion units)
- Dual redundant, hot-swappable cooling fans
- 19-in. industry-standard rack
* Limitation - a maximum of 20 solid-state drives (SSDs) are supported in a DS5020 system (which includes all of the attached expansion enclosures)