This high-energy class focuses in IBM's solutions and middleware for the System z platform. Students will learn how to deliver the business value of System z and its software and how that value is a differentiator in the marketplace. Students will also develop skills to identify, quantify and drive new workloads on System z: IT Optimization (System z hardware platform readiness), Cloud and IT Optimization (including Linux), Enterprise Modernization (primarily Rational), Application Infrastructure and Connectivity, Business Process Management, Winning in a Competitive Tools Environment, Managing a Territory, Data Management and Information Governance, Data Warehousing and Business Analytics, Software Pricing, Social Collaboration, Optimize IT and Business Infrastructure, Security.
Students will learn the steps to lead their customers from a legacy-centric environment to an environment that leverages the SWG Capabilities (mentioned above) that are now available on System z. Each student will be expected to submit an active Sales Opportunity, prior to the class. During class, students will learn to apply their knowledge to identify cross-sells and to develop a Win Plan to close their opportunity.
This class has 4 prerequisites: an active Sales Opportunity, 2 activities related to contracts and pricing, and z101, The most time consuming of these is "z101,The Value and Differentiation of System z" which takes 8-10 hours. On Day One of the Top Gun class, there will be a test that includes material from the prerequisites; your score on this test will be part of your final grade (Pass/Fail). For this reason, we are giving you notice of the need to start your prerequisite work as early as possible.
zSoftware Top Gun is a 4.5 day class.
System z Software Sales Reps (zSCLs), Software Sales Reps, Inside Sales, Client Reps, Software Client Architects, Technical Sales, Business Partners
This class has 7 prerequisites: an active Sales Opportunity, 20 minutes of YouTube videos (12) for Rational, 1 activity related to ISV take-outs, 3 activities related to contracts and pricing, and z101, The most time consuming of these is "z101,The Value and Differentiation of System z" which takes 8-10 hours. On Day One of the class, there will be a test that includes material from the prerequisites; your score on this test will be part of your final grade (Pass/Fail). For this reason, we are giving you notice of the need to start your prerequisite work as early as possible.
- Sales Opportunity. You must identify a System z software sales opportunity to work on during the class. Approximately 4 weeks prior to the class, you will be asked to provide the customer name, industry, and a brief description of what you hope to sell them. The customer must be real, and the opportunity should not be one that is closed.
20 minutes of YouTube videos (12) for Rational. Watch these videos to get familiar with Rational's capabilities.
IBMers should complete the VSZISV01, "ISV Takeout 101" eLearning course (Business Partners get a "pass" on this one)
- eLearning: z101, "The Value and Differentiation of System z." If you are new to the IBM System z platform, you should complete the z101 self-study. The class is downloaded to your laptop and run from there. The class will take you about 10 hours in total, but you don't have to take it all at once.
- eLearning: "Introduction to Software Contracts"
- Read the "IBM System z Software Pricing Reference Guide" (18 pages). The guide reviews the metrics for Monthly License Charge (MLC), IPLA, Sub-capacity pricing and more. Reading this guide will be critical to your ability to your ability to understand the Pricing portion of the face-face class.
IBM System z Software Pricing Reference Guide
- If you have NOT used Workload Pricer, take the self-study course "Using Workload Pricer" (VSZWLP01)
The Value of zEnterprise (White Board)
IT Optimization (System z hardware platform readiness)
Cloud and IT Optimization (including Linux)
Enterprise Modernization (Rational-centric)
Daily 1 Review and Quiz 1
Application Infrastructure and Connectivity (WebSphere-centric)
Business Process Management (WebSphere-centric)
White Board exercise
Winning in a Competitive Tools Environment
How to Manage a System z Territory (U.S. only)
Daily 2 Review and Quiz 2
Data Management and Data Governance (IM-centric)
Data Warehousing and Business Analytics (IM and BA-centric)
Social Collaboration (U.S. only)
Daily 3 Review and Quiz 3
Optimize IT and Business Infrastructure (Tivoli-centric)
Opportunity Workshop preparation (teams)
Opportunity Workshop presentations (teams)
Awards and Closing Comments
Click on the date below to enroll in a future class: