- Accelerate database performance by up to 3.2 times1 with next-generation, IBM® DS8870 High Performance Flash Enclosure
- Optimize performance with all-flash and hybrid-flash configurations for fast transaction processing and real-time operational analytics
- Deliver continuous data availability with full hardware redundancy and advanced business-continuity
- Maximize performance and costs with new drive options, IBM Easy Tier and other self-optimizing features
- Consolidate storage with high scalability, automated quality-of-service (QOS) management, self-tuning performance, automated tiering and support for many platforms and application workloads.
Smarter storage, such as IBM DS8870, can help organizations spend less time managing storage and more time exploring ways to exploit data to grow their businesses. Quick and reliable data access is the driving force behind important data initiatives such as cloud, business analytics and mobile computing and the sixth-generation DS8870 system sets the standard for what an enterprise storage system should be with extraordinary performance, reliability and agility.
As the latest model in the IBM DS8000 series, DS8870 can bring simplicity to your data architecture with self-optimizing performance for both random and sequential application workloads for the mainframe and an extensive variety of distributed server platforms. With the agility and automation to manage all these workloads simultaneously, DS8870 can greatly reduce the challenge of managing your increasingly complex storage environment as your business requirements change.
The logical choice
To support your most demanding, business-critical applications, DS8870 combines rock-solid resiliency and intelligent flash performance to deliver consistent microsecond (μs) application response times.1 The ability to select from all-flash, hybrid-flash or traditional disk configuration options gives the confidence needed to support the dynamic applications that sit at the heart of your business. To that end, DS8870 delivers a range of self-tuning features – such as intelligent caching algorithms, automated QOS management and advanced storage tiering that can even optimize data placement between itself and the enterprise servers attached to it. DS8870 also boasts high availability (HA) and exclusive integration with IBM enterprise servers that deliver extraordinary value. For organizations seeking an ideal combination of performance, HA, resilience and agility, DS8870 is a logical choice.
DS8870 is a high-performance, high-capacity, secure storage system designed to deliver the highest levels of performance, flexibility, scalability, resiliency and total overall value for the most demanding, heterogeneous storage environments.
- High-Performance Flash Enclosure (HPFE): integration and optimization of flash technology for extreme performance
- Advanced drive tiering helps to automatically optimize performance and the cost of single- and multi-tier systems.
- Flexible drive options include enterprise spinning drives, nearline drives, flash drives and ultra-fast flash cards (with HPFE).
- High-capacity cache and intelligent caching algorithms accelerate performance.
- Fully redundant design and greater-than-five-nines availability† is built upon market-proven IBM Power Systems architecture.
- IBM FlashCopy, Metro Mirror, Global Mirror, Metro/Global Mirror, Global Copy and multi-target mirroring provide flexible replication services to address backup and business-continuity needs.
- Storage Pool Striping and flash drives can virtually eliminate disk 'hot spots.'
- I/O Priority Manager automates quality of service (QoS) for all application volumes.
- Deep integration with IBM server platforms and IBM database software delivers value through synergy.
- Storage efficiency features such as thin provisioning, Dynamic Volume Expansion, Easy Tier and automated data rebalancing can lower acquisition and operating costs.
- An intuitive graphical user interface simplifies and centralizes storage management, enabling more effective consolidation.
- Self-encrypting drives and standards-based key manager provide advanced protection of data at rest.
- Controllers: Multiple IBM Power-based symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) servers
- Flexible all-flash and hybrid-flash options for ultra-fast data access with proven extreme resiliency for business-critical environments
- Host adapter controllers: 4- and 8-port 8 Gbps Fibre Channel/IBM FICON; scalable from 2 to 32 adapters and up to 128 ports
- Drive adapter controllers: Up to 16 4-port, 8 Gbps Fibre Channel adapters
- Drive options: Enterprise flash drives, flash cards (HPFE), enterprise 15k rpm and 10k rpm drives, 7.2k rpm nearline drives; scalable from 8 to 1,656 peripherals
- Processor memory: Cache and nonvolatile storage scalable from 16 GB to more than 1 TB
- Scalability: From 3 TB to more than 3 PB of physical storage capacity
- Business-class configuration options deliver high-end capabilities at lower cost and scale up to 2 petabytes
1 Measurements taken from both IBM internal performance benchmark results and customer testimonials using the High-Performance Flash Enclosure.
* IBM internal performance benchmark results. Five-nines and six-nines are terms used to denote that a piece of equipment is functioning with 99.999 and 99.9999 percent availability on average.