- All in one—integrates servers, SAN storage, networking and I/O into a single chassis
- No special wiring needed—uses standard office power plugs supporting 100 - 240 V
- Flexible modular technology—integrates a family of IBM blade servers supporting a wide range of operating systems and applications
- Easy to deploy, use and manage
- Helps build greener IT infrastructures—IBM® Cool Blue® technology delivers a portfolio of tools that helps plan, manage and control power and cooling
Large enterprises and small businesses alike depend on their IT systems to provide the high performance, availability, and resiliency customers and partners demand. Yet to stay competitive, organizations must find an economical way to simplify and efficiently manage evolving technology requirements. Small and midsized businesses in particular are pressured to do more with less space, fewer IT resources and tighter budgets.
For many organizations, IBM BladeCenter® is the answer. Many large enterprises have long known that blade systems can help:
- Reduce the physical server sprawl associated with typical businesses.
- Minimize the IT staff needed to manage the applications essential to operating day-to-day business functions.
- Lower costs through the ability to add more servers, storage and networking simply on an as-needed basis.
- Save energy through reduced power consumption compared to rack servers.
IBM brings the power of BladeCenter to small and midsized businesses. IBM BladeCenter S delivers the industry’s first blade chassis uniquely designed for small and midsized offices and distributed environments. Building in simplicity and economy, BladeCenter S is designed to get big IT results from the smallest IT staffs.
- First BladeCenter chassis built specifically for the office and distributed enterprise environment
- The first blade chassis to incorporate a fully redundant SAN inside the BladeCenter S
- Open and easy management tools deliver advanced, proactive management, providing rich and broad systems management capabilities
- Predictive Failure Analysis® helps save you time and money by helping decrease unplanned downtime
- Calibrated Vectored Cooling™ helps maintain the health of your system by keeping internal components cool
- Available in the Office Enablement Kit, the ideal way to deploy BladeCenter S into the everyday office environment.
- 7U rack-optimized chassis
- Up to six blade server bays
- Up to two Disk Storage Modules supporting either 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch HDDs
- Each 3.5-inch Disk Storage Module provides up to six 3.5-inch SAS, Nearline SAS or SATA, or an intermix of the disks
- Each 2.5-inch Disk Storage Module provides up to twelve 2.5-inch SAS HDDs
- Hot-swap and redundant switch modules supporting SAS, Gigabit Ethernet and Fibre Channel options
- Up to four hot-swap and redundant load-balancing power supply modules
- High-availability midplane helps enable increased uptime and investment protection for future technologies
|Easy to use, space-saving 7U chassis that incorporates hot-swap disks
- BladeCenter S delivers choice of storage options providing a combination of performance and bandwidth
- Highly integrated IT infrastructure helps simplify the deployment, of servers and storage.
- BladeCenter S uses standard office power supplies, enabling you to build your IT outside of the data center.
- Support for the latest x86 and IBM Power blade servers allow you to create the best solution for your specific workload needs.
- Virtualization capability allows you to “virtualize everything” for a more flexible, better utilized and potentially lower cost IT infrastructure with a common management construct.
- Innovative design reduces cables by up to 80 percent compared to rack servers, helping save you installation time and on cable costs.
- Extensive compatibility with the family of BladeCenter blades, switches and ecosystem products.
- BladeCenter S supports a very broad portfolio of low-voltage processor options, helping enable customers to lower their power usage without sacrificing performance.*
- Because BladeCenter S uses power supplies that are as much as 90 percent efficient, much less power is wasted as heat and more power is available for the chassis and servers to use.
- Blower/fan modules in the chassis adjust to compensate for changing thermal characteristics. At the lower speeds they draw less power.
- The use of fewer and lower-power components helps enable power and cooling savings.
|IBM Open Fabric
- Delivers a flexible, open, connected infrastructure to help optimize application performance.
- BladeCenter supports a wide array of fabrics including: SAS, Ethernet, Fibre Channel and iSCSI.
- Helps centralize storage, including boot capability, which can help reduce the effect of a disk outage on an application.
|Powerful solutions management
- Provides intelligent systems management for rock-solid reliability.
- Exploits hardware capabilities by surfacing pertinent information about your blade server.
- Easy-to-use Deployment Wizard provides step-by-step installation instructions with automated deployment capabilities.
- Advanced Management Module provides more robust hardware running Linux and supporting many industry-standard, open protocols.
- Provides a fault-tolerant connection from the blade server to all modular components.
- Innovative midplane design provides support for you to upgrade to new technologies and helps preserve your original investment.
|Hot-swap, management, switch, power supply and blower modules
- Provides single point of control for managing the entire solution helping to increase system reliability and availability.
- BladeCenter S comes standard with one Advanced Management Module.
- IBM smart management capabilities can help boost administrator productivity.
- Uniquely designed Calibrated Vectored Cooling technology helps protect critical system components to help drive toward OnForever™ reliability.
- Supports a wide selection of integrated switching components from industry-leading vendors including IBM System Networking, Cisco, QLogic and more.
- Optional Gigabit Ethernet switch modules provide Gigabit Ethernet communication between blade servers, management modules and external hardware.
- Optional Fibre Channel switch modules deliver highly available cost-effective storage network, including support for IBM System Storage® SAN.
- Supports up to four 950 W/1450 W auto-sensing power supplies with load-balancing and failover capabilities, providing additional reliability and protection.
- Each power supply includes a customer replaceable fan pack to help keep the power supplies running at peak performance.
|Advanced server management
- Supports system availability to accurately measure planned vs. unplanned outages.
- Supports capacity manager to help monitor critical server resources, identify and predict bottlenecks and recommend upgrades to prevent diminished network performance.
- Supports rack manager to conveniently configure and monitor rack components and provide health information.
- Supports software rejuvenation (PFA for software) to monitor performance trends of software over time, predict software aging issues and schedule servicing when required.
|IBM Remote Deployment Manager
- Simplifies and automates deployment and redeployment for efficient installation and setup of your blade servers.
- Perform deployment tasks via the network that previously may have required a visit to each system, helping save your administrator valuable time.
- Supports all Wake on LAN and Pre-boot eXecution (PXE) enabled products.
|Light path diagnostics self-diagnosis panel
- LEDs located on the front and rear of the system provide quick and easy guide to troubleshoot your server to help provide more availability and faster system uptime.
|Predictive Failure Analysis
- Helps save you time and money by decreasing unplanned downtime.
- Helps increase uptime by allowing you to receive proactive alerts and take corrective action, in some cases as much as 24 - 48 hours in advance.
|3-year customer replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty
- IBM Global Services organization provides reliable, dedicated and skilled assistance when you need it.
- Provides peace of mind for an extended period of time.
* Some machines are designed with a power management capability to provide customers with the increased uptime for their systems. In extended thermal conditions, rather than shutdown completely, or fail, these machines automatically reduce the frequency of the processor to maintain acceptable thermal levels.