High Performance Computing (HPC) Cloud offerings have evolved from the needs of organisations to transform isolated and static IT resources into powerful, shared, remotely managed and easily provisioned IT infrastructures to support the demands of compute-intensive and big data workloads. IBM Technical Computing provides comprehensive HPC cloud solutions compromised of powerful servers, storage, and cloud management capabilities, that makes it easy for you to deploy an efficient, consolidated HPC Cloud infrastructure that meets time variant and evolving business demands — while also delivering the performance that your users demand.
Attain greater value from existing technical computing resources
Developed specifically for compute-intensive and big data analytics distributed computing environments
The extraordinary demands that engineering, scientific, financial and research organisations place upon big data analytics and high performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, as well as the difficulties associated with moving large volumes of data, has slowed the adoption of cloud computing in these environments. This has often led to standalone infrastructure deployments. This approach has inhibited collaboration and resource optimisations across departments and workflows. The challenge is to move from inefficient, project-oriented, static environments to a dynamic shared infrastructure.
Based on proven cluster, grid, and cloud technologies, HPC cloud solutions from IBM are specifically designed to provide a robust foundation for private, private hosted, or third party public HPC clouds, allowing you to realise improved operational and cost efficiencies, and achieve business goals.
IBM Intelligent Cluster™ is an integrated, optimised high performance system. It is delivered to you pre-integrated, with your choice of servers, internal storage, networking, and management software, backed with a single point of contact. Time and complexity to deploy and manage an HPC cloud are significantly reduced.
IBM® Platform Cluster Manager – Advanced Edition is the flagship HPC Cloud management software from IBM. It enables organisations to quickly and easily consolidate silos of cluster resources into a shared pool creating a high-performance computing (HPC) cloud, and provides a centralised management portal to simplify administration. Platform Cluster Manager provides seamless integration with a broad suite of technical computing software to achieve faster time to deployment and usage of highly optimised technical computing or analytics environments. These products include:
- IBM Platform™ LSF® — A powerful workload management platform for scheduling and optimising distributed technical computing environments
- IBM Platform Dynamic Cluster (US), software that is able to turn static clusters into dynamic, shared cloud resources
- IBM Platform Symphony which accelerates dozens of parallel applications for faster results and better utilisation of available resources.
- IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS™) (US) delivers fast, reliable access to data optimised for parallel workloads in big data environments. GPFS is capable of managing petabytes of data and billions of files for fast, reliable access to a common set of file-based data that can be accessed globally and managed centrally.
HPC clouds from IBM can be applied in a wide range of industries such as automotive, aerospace and electronics. Companies focused on electronic design, computer-aided engineering, and big data analytics can benefit greatly from a highly optimised cloud environment. IBM Engineering Solutions for Cloud (PDF, 719KB) offers two- and three- dimensional accelerators and dynamic provisioning which create a secure, agile cloud-based engineering environment. End users can visualise and manipulate complex models, improve user productivity and accelerate application performance.
HPC cloud services (US) are available from IBM or IBM business partners to help you assess, build, optimise and manage an HPC cloud. As an added bonus, Platform Computing can provide system administrator and user training to help ensure ongoing success.
By applying cloud technologies and standards to established Technical Computing and HPC infrastructures, costly, inflexible silos can be eliminated and shared computing resources can be fully utilised to help you:
- Enhance productivity and facilitate collaboration with an easy-to-use, web-based portal
- Improve data access, resource availability and security while boosting performance
- Increase throughput of heterogeneous workloads across diverse resources
- Increase automation and decrease manual effort for improved administrator productivity
- Improve performance and scalability with IBM high-performance clustered systems – factory integrated, tested, single-point of contact
- Reduce operating costs and total cost of ownership with a consolidated high-performance infrastructure.
We're here to help
Hartree Centre provides Big data and HPC Cloud, based on IBM Technologies, providing new users access to Technical Computing
Using Platform LSF The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute was able to run up to half a million sequence matching jobs a day.