IBM Flex System: The game changer
Innovation that transforms business.
Organisations of all sizes need to improve IT efficiency to reduce operational expense and allow increased innovation. IBM Flex System solutions can help you consolidate your infrastructure and support innovative solutions such as social, mobile and big data analytics. With IBM Flex System, you get the flexibility to innovate while still choosing the best architecture for your applications. And with recent announcements, you get even more choice, supporting consolidation efficiency across all infrastructure - not just servers - so you can reduce operational expense and free up resources for innovation.
IBM Flex System
Custom-build infrastructure to your requirements
IBM Flex System represents an entirely new generation of technology, with more performance and bandwidth, true integrated enterprise SAN storage, and far more capability to consolidate and virtualise than previous systems. A game changer.
Businesses around the world have a timely opportunity to move forward beyond blade servers, transforming the data centre by bringing together servers, networking, and storage – all under integrated management – with IBM Flex System.
Your business needs an infrastructure solution with a flexible architecture to support your needs today, but also designed to support multiple generations of future technologies. You need simple, integrated management to keep operational costs down, but you also want a no-compromise design with long-term investment protection.
Whether you need to migrate an existing blade server infrastructure to simplify management and improve performance and flexibility, or implement new workloads, IBM Flex System can meet your needs.
Browse IBM Flex System elements
Starting with an innovative chassis designed for new levels of simplicity, reliability, and upgradability, IBM Flex System can help you go beyond blade servers. With a broad range of x86 and IBM POWER compute nodes, the Flex System V7000 storage node, enhanced networking capabilities and sophisticated system management capabilities, you can upgrade your existing blade server infrastructure and make your IT simpler, more flexible, more open, and more efficient.
Spotlight on IBM Flex System
Dare to compare
Find out how Cisco’s UCS compares to IBM Flex System.
Dare to compare
Why IBM Flex System is the best blade solution on the market.
IBM Flex System x240 delivers virtualisation performance over the competition.
IBM Flex System
IBM Flex System Manager for Android, Blackberry and iOS.
Go beyond blade servers with IBM Flex System
Compute nodes that go beyond blade servers
- Price-optimised entry nodes to performance-optimised 4-socket nodes for your most demanding applications
- Available with the highest capability processors and industry-leading memory capability for x86-based compute nodes and the latest IBM® POWER® and POWER7+™ processors for maximum performance and efficiency
- Double-dense design can support the equivalent of 28 nodes per IBM Flex System™ Enterprise Chassis
- Storage capabilities optimised for efficiency and performance
- Optional IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node offers storage virtualisation, Real-time Compression™ to reduce capacity needs, and IBM Easy Tier® to optimise data placement
- Up to 2x more dedicated flash storage for compute nodes compared to Dell1
Networking capabilities designed for virtualisation and cloud
- High-performance Ethernet and converged options using EN4093R, SI4093 and CN4093 modules. Clients also have capability to implement end-to-end 40 GB Ethernet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) switch to fit into your current infrastructure while supporting next generation capabilities
- Fibre Channel switches ranging from low-cost 8Gb solutions to highly scalable 16Gb switches for maximum performance
- Flex System Fabric, designed to help simplify connectivity of your LAN and SAN infrastructure
- InfiniBand switches and adapters to support the bandwidth and latency requirements for high performance computing and financial trading environments
Storage capabilities optimised for efficiency and performance
- Simplified storage administration with a single storage management user interface incorporated into the integrated system manager
- Virtualise third-party storage with non-disruptive migration of current storage infrastructure
- The IBM Flex System V7000 Storage Node is built on the industry-leading storage virtualisation and efficiency capabilities of IBM Storwize® V7000 and enables external virtualisation, consolidation and tiering, and is designed to improve application availability and resource utilisation
- The IBM Flex System Storage Expansion Node provides dedicated hard disk drives (HDDs) or solid state disk (SSD) storage to an IBM Flex System x220 and x240 compute node, expanding the compute node’s capability
The community speaks
"The NGS Collection for Pipeline Pilot, combined with the IBM Application Ready Solution for Accelrys, provides a turnkey NGS analysis solution with all the required high performance hardware: General Parallel File System, high speed networking, and storage,to support our customers' most demanding workloads."
- Dr. Matt Hahn, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Accelrys
There are many more voices describing the benefits of IBM PureFlex System and IBM Flex System.
"It has been a pleasure to work with IBM, optimising our enterprise software running on the IBM Application Ready Solution for CLC bio platform. We are proud to offer this pre-configured, scalable high-performance infrastructure with integrated GPFS to all our clients with demanding computational workloads."
- Mikael Flensborg, Director of Global Partner Relations, CLC bio
"Initial testing with Gaussian 09 indicates that IBM Application Ready Solution offers excellent performance. When coupled with IBM's storage offerings, the Application Ready Solution brings capability to run very large Gaussian problems conveniently within reach of more end-users."
- Dr. Michael Frisch, President, Gaussian, Inc.
"While ANSYS is optimised for HPC performance, the task of selecting the appropriate hardware for specific workloads remains a bottleneck for customers. IBM Application Ready Solution for ANSYS should ensure that ANSYS applications perform optimally. The focus on application integration and engineering workflow, including remote 3D environments, will also add value for ANSYS customers seeking to boost engineering productivity. The combined solution should enable consideration of a greater number of high-fidelity simulations more rapidly and helps customers ensure that their products perform as expected in the real world."
- Barbara Hutchings, Director of Strategic Partnerships, ANSYS