- Gain great flexibility for diverse deployment strategies with the Gen 5 Fibre Channel (FC) switch, which delivers 16 gigabits per second (Gbps) performance with up to 48 ports in an energy-efficient, 1U form factor
- Leverage Ports on Demand (PoD) capabilities to achieve fast, easy and cost-effective scaling from 24 to 48 ports in 12-port increments
- Simplify management with Fabric Vision technology, which helps reduce operational costs and optimise application performance
- Maximise availability with non-disruptive software upgrades and redundant, hot-pluggable components.
- Support highly virtualised private or hybrid cloud storage with multitenancy and nonstop operations
- Yield outstanding price/performance value when compared to Ethernet storage-based alternatives
- Help maximise application uptime and performance while reducing overall operational expenses with ClearLink diagnostic technology (D_port)
- Simplify server connectivity by deploying as a full-fabric or an Access Gateway switch.
The IBM® System Storage SAN48B-5 switch is designed to meet the demands of hyper-scale private or hybrid cloud storage environments by delivering Gen 5 FC technology and capabilities with 16 Gbps performance that support highly virtualised environments. To enable greater flexibility and investment protection, SAN48B-5 is configurable in 24, 36 or 48 ports and supports 2, 4, 8, 10 or 16 Gbps speeds in an efficiently designed 1U package. This switch – now enhanced with enterprise connectivity options that add support for IBM fibre connection (FICON) connectivity – can provide a highly reliable infrastructure when used with fast, scalable IBM System z servers.
- Gen 5 FC technology storage area network (SAN) switch
- 'Pay-as-you-grow' flexibility using the Ports on Demand (PoD) feature
- 2, 4, 8, 10 or 16 Gbps speed on all ports
- New enterprise connectivity options add support for IBM FICON connectivity
- Dual functionality as either a full-fabric SAN switch or an N_Port Identifier Virtualisation (NPIV)-enabled Access Gateway
- Innovative diagnostic, monitoring and management capabilities through Fabric Vision technology
- In-flight data compression and encryption for efficient link utilisation and security (up to four ports at 8 Gbps or up to two ports at 16 Gbps)
- Energy-efficient FC SAN switch, with 16 Gbps performance and up to 48 ports in a 1U form factor
- PoD capability for scaling from 24 to 48 ports in 12-port increments
- Autosensing of 2, 4, 8 or 16 Gbps port speeds; 10 Gbps and optionally programmable to fixed port speed
- FICON with Control Unit Port (CUP) Activation
- 16 Gbps optimised Inter-Switch Links (ISLs)
- 128 Gbps high performance and resilient frame-based trunking
- Simplified deployment process and point-and-click user interface
||Power supplies, fan modules, small form-factor pluggables (SFPs)
||One-year; customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and onsite, next-business-day response; warranty service upgrades are available
||SFP; fibre optic cables; upgraded power supplies; Adaptive Networking, FICON with Control Unit Port (CUP) Activation, Advanced Performance Monitoring, Inter-Switch Link (ISL) Trunking, Extended Fabrics, Server Application Optimisation, 12-port Activation, Integrated Routing, Integrated 10 Gbps FC Activation and the Enterprise bundle.*
||43.8 cm (17.23 in.) W x 4.3 cm (1.7 in.) H x 44.3 cm (17.45 in.) D
||9.16 kg (20.2 lb) (maximum ports fully populated)
* The Enterprise bundle includes one license for each of the following: Extended Fabric, Advanced Performance Monitoring, Trunking Activation, Adaptive Networking, Server Application Optimisation and Fabric Vision.