Abstract: Come to this session if you need to understand the migration issues surrounding a migration to newer LAN adapters with two ports per CHPID and if you need more information on using OSA/SF on the HMC. This document provides advice on ordering and planning for new OSA configurations.
• Did you know that you may not be able to seamlessly transfer a network design of a pair of two-port adapter cards to the two to four ports of a single OSA-E3 adapter or even the two ports of an OSA-E4S or OSA-E5S?
• Did you know that CHPID Type of OSE (supporting both native SNA and TCP/IP) is configured with OSA/SF (OSA Support Facility)? Did you know that if OSA/SF is to configure or manage an OSA-E5S feature, you must use OSA/SF on the HMC?
• Did you know that for CHPID Type of OSE, the IOCDS or HCD definitions must correlate with the OSA firmware table known as the “OAT” in order for the channel path to come online during a migration?
• Did you know that OSA port connectivity to an adjacent switch must follow certain rules in terms of speed in order to connect successfully?
• An appendix contains a list of valuable reference documents and presentations that you may use when working on a new OSA order or implementation.