WSC IBM Z
CICS Transaction Server; DB2 for z/OS and OS/390; IBM Z; IMS; z/OS; z/VSE
|Abstract: zSoftCap is PC-based tool that will evaluate the effect on IBM Z processor capacity when migrating to newer levels of software, including z/OS, z/VSE, CICS and IMS. zSoftCap assumes that the hardware configuration remains constant while the software version or release changes.|
If your currently installed zSoftCap version is older than C5.0, it MUST be uninstalled prior to installing zSoftCap C5.6 (package includes Java). This is necessary to facilitate conversion to the IBM Java v8 64-bit runtime environment that is required for zSoftCap.
|Product Name: |
|Product Version: |
|Operating System: |
Windows 10/8/7 64-bit
|Change Date: |
April 14, 2020
|Approximate Size: |
147 MB with Java
|Click on icon to down load package with Java|
|Click on icon to view User's Guide|
- The newly announced IBM z15 Model T02 has been added
- Added support for CICS TS 5.5
- The newly announced IBM z15 has been added.
- Capacity deltas for z/OS-2.4 have been added.
- Added support for IMS V15
- Added support for IBM z14 Model ZR1 processor family
- Added support for z/VSE-6.2 and CICS/TS-2.2. Comparisons can be made to z/VSE-6.1, 5.2, or 5.1.
Note that the version of CICS is mandated by the version of z/VSE specified. There is no longer a need to select the CICS version.
- Corrected a problem that prevented z/OS-2.3 from being assigned to the current environment. One might want to do this when planning CICS or IMS upgrades while the z/OS version is 2.3.
- Updated User’s Guide and online help.
- Added support for z/OS-2.3.
Note: Performance of z/OS-2.3 is considered to be equivalent to that of z/OS-2.2 for all zSoftCap defined workload components.
- Changed branding to IBM Z (formerly z Systems)
- Updated User’s Guide
- Newly announced IBM z14 processor models are supported for both z/OS and z/VSE. Note that capacity deltas between z/OS, CICS, and IMS will not be affected, since the software versions are always assumed to be running on the same hardware.
- Updated User’s Guide
- Added support for CICS TS 5.4 on z/OS
- zSoftCap has been updated to use the new IBM Java v1.8 (64-bit) runtime (this change applies to all CPS Java-based tools). To obtain the CPS Java8 upgrade:
- IBM Customers must install zSoftCap C5.0. The package includes CPS Java8 (a zSoftCap package without Java is no longer distributed). When Installshield detects that the proper Java version is already installed, that portion of the install will be skipped. zBNA and zPCR are also similarly packaged with CPS Java8.
- zSoftCap function remains identical to that of the previous version. A slight discrepancy in z/OS and IMS results when larger N-way models were defined was corrected.
- Added support for IMS v14
- Corrected problem that prevented upgrade to IMS v13
- New z Systems (IBM z13s) processor models are supported for both z/OS and z/VSE
- Updated User’s Guide
zSoftCap is a PC-based productivity tool under Windows, designed to assess the effect on IBM Z processor capacity, when planning to upgrade to a more current operating system version and/or major subsystems versions. zSoftCap assumes that the hardware configuration remains constant while the software version or release changes. The capacity implication of an upgrade for the software components can be assessed independently or in any combination.
z/OS Environments Supported
Input required by zSoftCap includes the current z/OS version/release and the utilization represented by each of the following components: Batch, CICS, DB2, IMS, Web, and System. The planned future z/OS version/release must also be specified. The processor family, the N-way of the image, and the use of HiperDispatch (supported on z10 and later) are all considered.
For CICS and IMS software upgrades (optional), both the current and planned version/release, and a high-level description of the subsystem's implementation is required.
z/VSE Environments Supported
- z/OS: z/OS V1R5 through z/OS V2R4
- CICS: CICS/TS 1.1 through CICS/TS 5.5
- IMS: IMS V4 through IMS V15
- z/VSE: VSE/ESA 2.3 through z/VSE 6.2
- CICS: CICS/VSE, CICS/TS 1.1 through CICS/TS 2.2 (dependent of z/VSE version)
Results show the effective change in processor utilization and the net benefit or cost in capacity that can be expected when moving to newer software versions. For z/OS environments, if upgrading multiple components, a report is available showing the effect of each as well as their combined effect on capacity.
IBM Customers can obtain zSoftCap via the Internet at:
For questions concerning zSoftCap, contact Capacity Planning Support via E-mail: zPCR@us.ibm.com
Note: The IBM JavaTM Runtime Environment provided herewith shall only be used with the zSoftCap tool.
Note: zSoftCap is officially supported under Windows 10/8/7 64-bit.
Note: zSoftCap and its supporting Java must be installed to the same user ID. zSoftCap can only be run on the user ID to which it was installed.
The performance data contained in this tool was derived by IBM in a controlled environment. A customer's actual performance results may vary significantly. Accordingly, IBM provides no representations or assurances that a customer will obtain the same or similar results. Users of this tool should verify the applicability of the data for their specific environment.
To use this, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader version that supports your operating platform. The latest versions of these readers are publicly available without charge from the Adobe Web site, found at http://www.adobe.com/ ; click on "Get Acrobat Reader".
Planning and Design
IBM z Systems, IBM Z, z/OS, CICS, IMS, z/VSE, zSoftCap, SoftCap
|Is this your first visit to Techdocs (the Technical Sales Library)?