An advanced optimizing C and C++ compiler for the z/OS platform
The IBM® z/OS® XL C/C++ compiler exploits the latest z/Architecture®, including the latest IBM z13™ servers. It enables development of high-performing business applications and system programs on z/OS, while maximizing hardware use and improving application performance. As an optional-priced feature of the z/OS operating system, z/OS XL C/C++ uses services provided by the z/OS Language Environment® and Runtime Library Extensions base elements. It works in concert with z/OS problem determination tools, including IBM Debug Tool for z/OS and IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS.
IBM z/OS XL C/C++ offers:
- Increased return on hardware and middleware investments for improved application performance with leading-edge optimization technology and exploitation of the latest IBM z Systems™ and middleware, including IBM CICS® and IBM DB2®.
- System programming capabilities with the METAL C option for using C syntax to develop system programs and low-level, free-standing applications on z/OS that can use advanced optimization technology.
- Improved productivity with usability features for simplified programming and problem determination, supporting modern development tools supplied by IBM.
- Standards compliance with support for international C and C++ programming language standards and GNU C/C++ compatibility extensions for ease of application migration to z Systems.
Increased return on hardware and middleware investments
- Exploits the latest IBM z13 servers for improved application performance without source code changes.
- Provides state-of-the-art compilation technology with new hardware exploitation features, giving programmers the full advantage of advancements in hardware architecture.
- Provides profile-driven optimization for application profile monitoring and profile directed feedback capabilities, minimizing the need for manual tuning while helping to verify that the application is optimized for important inputs.
- Simplifies the operation of C/C++ within CICS and DB2 environments with support for embedded CICS and SQL statements in C/C++ source that are passed through without the need for a preprocessing step.
System programming capabilities
- Provides a METAL C option to support system program development on z/OS.
- Enables METAL C to allow organizations with limited high level assembler (HLASM) skills to develop optimized system programs using high level C language syntax.
- Allows programmers to more quickly target system programs written in Metal C to new z Systems architectures by recompiling to include optimizations for the target system.
Improved productivity with usability features
- Provides a rich set of options with flexibility in adapting compiler functionality to the required tasks without requiring source code changes.
- Increases programmer productivity and lowers maintenance costs by diagnosing potential language semantics adherence while controlling reliable code generation.
- Offers information consumable by standard symbolic debugging tools, including IBM Debug Tool for z/OS and dbx, enabling you to examine, monitor and control the execution of C and C++ programs.
- Supports UNIX System Services (USS) on z/OS, including use of the z/OS UNIX Hierarchical File System (HFS) for storage of compiler source and output and the z/OS UNIX Shell and Utilities feature.
- Integrates with IBM Rational® Developer for System z, an integrated development environment with advanced, easy-to-use tools, to help accelerate development, facilitate runtime testing and rapidly deploy applications.
- Conforms to the C89, C99, C++ 98 and C++03 international programming language standards, enabling straightforward porting and consolidation of C/C++ applications to z Systems for improved platform performance, flexibility, security and reliability features.
- Supports various features of the new C11 and C++11 international programming language standards, facilitating modern C/C++ application development on z Systems.
- Provides various GNU C/C++ language extensions and compatibility features for ease of migration of applications built with GNU C/C++ to z Systems.
- Offers OpenMP 3.1 parallelization directives for improved parallel programming.