Process authoring software and process library
IBM Rational Method Composer is a flexible process management platform with a method authoring tool and a process asset library to help you implement measured improvement of your enterprise, systems engineering, or software delivery processes. Rational Method Composer tooling lets you create, edit, manage, and publish process descriptions. The process and practice libraries provide best practice content that you can reuse as is or that you can tailor to compose your own processes.
- Best practices: Includes practices that use process expertise and experience in agile development; systems engineering; real-time, embedded software development; governance and compliance; requirements management; quality management; and change and release management.
- Process configuration: Lets you configure processes by selecting only those practices that address your operational objectives.
- Process authoring: Enables you to manage, author, evolve, measure, and deploy effective processes tailored to your project needs.
- Process tailoring: Captures and maintains your practices and combines them with IBM practices and processes for maximum results.
- Process delivery: Enables consistent results across all projects through proven best practices and provides information through integrations with Rational tools for lifecycle management.
- Rational Method Composer ships with two libraries: IBM Rational Unified Process (RUP) and IBM Practice Library, based on the Unified Method Framework (UMF).
- Rational Method Composer features over 100 customizable process plug-ins and practices, including RUP, for solving common business, management, or systems and software development problems.
- This software includes predefined tool configuration assets, such as process templates, artifact templates, and report templates for Rational tools.
- It provides recommended metrics and guidance for setting up a system to support measured improvement.
- With Rational Method Composer, you can combine multiple plug-ins to create a process configuration for your project's environment.
- Process Builder lets you create a method configuration based on operational objectives. You can browse, preview, and select without knowing the details of the design and structure of the method library and its content.
- The Configuration editor helps you select a base method configuration; apply plug-ins, practices, and other process components; configure process views; and publish your customized process.
- Rational Method Composer provides forms-based editors for creating content that conforms to the OMG Systems and Software Process Meta-mode (SPEM 2.0).
- These editors process pasted HTML and Microsoft® Word documentation to ensure consistent formatting of the end product.
- Rational Method Composer ships with a predefined set of questions for selecting from the practices content based on operational objectives.
- The Authoring perspective provides re-use mechanisms to help you tailor content without changing the original content. It supports multiple variants of a process with common content automatically synchronized across all variants to simplify maintenance of your methods.
- The Tailoring perspective provides project managers and team leads the views and functions required to customize a process, while hiding information only required for authoring.
- Rational Method Composer lets you use RSS feeds to generate process information for subscribers in multiple standard formats, such as Atom and RSS 2.0 from a Lucene search index.
- You can export IBM Rational Team Concert™ work item templates based on Rational Method Composer work breakdown structures. The templates can be instantiated in Rational Team Concert to create release plans, iterations plans, or ad hoc set of tasks that are repeated frequently. These work items include links to relevant process guidance to simplify enactment and compliance to the process.
- You can export Microsoft Project templates based on Rational Method Composer work breakdown structures to simplify creation of Microsoft Project Plans. Each plan item includes links to role descriptions, input and output work products, and tasks and activities from Rational Method Composer.