A Fortran language compiler optimized for Blue Gene/Q
IBM® XL Fortran for Blue Gene®/Q is a Fortran language compiler optimized for IBM Blue Gene/Q supercomputers. It manages high-performance computing, scalable business and web applications using the latest programming standards and industry specifications. XL Fortran for Blue Gene/Q uses optimization technologies that can help improve application performance and developer productivity.
XL Fortran for Blue Gene/Q features:
- Optimization technologies for IBM Blue Gene/Q systems that deliver advanced programming tools for improved application performance.
- High-performance libraries and debugging tools that can improve developer productivity and shorten development cycles.
- Compiler options and reporting capabilities that can help simplify programming tasks.
- Conformance with international programming standards that can protect existing investments and ease migration to Blue Gene/Q.
Optimization technologies for Blue Gene/Q systems
- Support the Quad Processing eXtension (QPX) instruction set to help simplify and improve manipulation of vector operations in applications.
- Take advantage of thread-level speculative execution (SE) to dynamically detect thread conflicts and roll back conflicting threads for re-execution.
- Use transactional memory to help simplify parallel programming processes by grouping read and write operations and running them as a single operation.
- Provide support for 64-bit application development to help simplify the development of large applications.
- Include built-in functions to retrieve statistical information, write statistics into log files and switch modes to thread-level speculative execution at run time.
High-performance libraries and debugging tools
- Use enhanced Mathematical Acceleration Subsystem (MASS) and MASS Vector (MASSV) libraries.
- Take advantage of a shared memory parallelization (SMP) runtime library that supports both explicit and automatic parallel processing.
- Generate debugging information for use by a symbolic debugger.
- Provide compatibility with object code or libraries compiled with previous versions of the XL Fortran compiler and runtime environment.
Compiler options and reporting capabilities
- Offer compiler suboptions for fine-grained control over optimizations and transformations.
- Deliver diagnostic reports that identify areas to improve performance by showing optimizations the compiler performed and missed.
- Provide diagnostic reports in XML or HTML format for expanded viewing options.
- Generate information about data reorganizations and the location of data prefetch instructions resulting from compiler operations.
- Take advantage of internal improvements, such as alias analysis, for faster data gathering and data sharing.
Conformance with international programming standards
- Supports Fortran 2003, Fortran 95, Fortran 90 and FORTRAN 77 standards and provides initial support for the Fortran 2008 standard.
- Works with the Open Multiprocessing (OpenMP) 3.1 application programming interface (API) specification to support the development of parallel applications.
- Includes language interoperability standards to support code portability between multiple operating systems and hardware platforms.
- Offers support for Linux operating systems.
- Uses built-in functions for atomic memory access that correspond to the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC).
XL Fortran for Blue Gene/Q resources