Near real-time, continuous data protection for desktop and laptop computers
IBM® Spectrum Protect™ for Workstations (formerly IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager FastBack® for Workstations) is near real-time, continuous data protection software specifically designed for desktop and laptop computers. This easy to use, centrally-managed software simplifies the backup and recovery of information on employees’ workstations. Now you can mitigate the risk of losing important information stored on thousands of personal computers across your enterprise.
IBM Spectrum Protect for Workstations:
- Provides continuous data protection for key corporate information—by backing up your most important files as they are saved. It operates in the background and requires no user intervention.
- Helps minimize recovery times and maximize the granularity of recoverable data—by providing user-initiated near-instant recovery using simple GUI, that helps minimize productivity impacts following a data loss or system failure.
- Fits your environment without burdening your administrators—by centrally managing thousands of end points, including auto-discovery, pushing updates, configuring settings, initiating backups and many other functions.
Provides continuous protection for key corporate information
- Captures a new and changed file as it is saved to disk, automatically and continuously. Backs up files effortlessly and transparently, eliminating any backup window.
- Allows you to specify two target backup or replication areas for high-priority files: a local disk plus a ﬁle server or network-attached storage appliance, an IBM Spectrum Protect server or a WebDAV-enabled web server—providing recovery capability when the computer or its hard disk fails.
- Automatically deletes old versions to make room for new versions when copying ﬁles to local, user-allocated, self-managed disk space.
- Enables you to specify a remote ﬁle server or IBM Spectrum Protect for off-machine replication.
- Helps to meet corporate governance requirements by protecting important data distributed on personal computers.
Helps minimize recovery times and maximize the granularity of recoverable data
- Allows users to restore the version(s) of the files they need.
- Improves recovery point objectives (RPO). When a failure occurs, recovery can restore the latest version.
- Enhances recovery time objectives (RTO) by enabling fast recovery from disk, either local or remote.
Fits your environment without burdening your administrators
- Allows you to remotely configure and manage continuous protection of thousands of workstations from a single interface.
- Can be used in a variety of environments including small businesses, remote offices, mobile workers and enterprise desktops.
- Installs and configures in minutes. Can be silently deployed via deployment software such as Microsoft SMS.
- Runs transparently in the background with a light footprint. Minimizes network bandwidth impact through scheduled transfers. Minimizes policy-based adaptive bandwidth throttling with automatic network detection.
- Copies versions of files to local, user-allocated, self- managed disk space, automatically deleting old versions to make room for new ones.
- Provides central backup consolidation and retention through tight integration with IBM Spectrum Protect. When sending data to IBM Spectrum Protect, data deduplication further reduces network traffic and storage capacity requirements.