Helping development teams improve efficiency, productivity and on-time delivery
IBM® Rational® Asset Analyzer helps you gather and work with knowledge about application structure, embedded business rules, relationships, control flows, and interdependencies with databases, transactions and batch jobs. You gain a better understanding of the impact and risks of change. This software executes in the Microsoft® Windows® environment.
Rational Asset Analyzer helps development teams by:
- Reducing the complexity of software development projects through better insight and more accurate documentation.
- Scanning applications more effectively to simplify upgrades and allow for more comprehensive analysis.
- Mining existing COBOL assets for business rules by working with IBM WebSphere® Operational Decision Manager Business Rules Management System (BRMS) to make business rule identification projects more practical.
- Increasing productivity throughout the analysis process while improving accuracy and completeness.
Reducing the complexity of software development projects
- Enables designers and analysts to access the most current information about application components, their structures, relationships and interactions with the data.
- Makes it easier to supplement outdated or nonexistent documentation with the newest application changes.
- Improves process and team efficiency by making the same application knowledge available throughout the development lifecycle.
- Helps improve team understanding and communication through customized, annotated metadata gathered through comprehensive scanning processes and compiled in an IBM DB2® database.
- Empowers developers with more accurate documentation that is based on the source itself and offers better insight into application relationships.
Scanning applications more effectively
- Scans assets, including COBOL code, PL/I code, copybooks, Java® archive (JAR) files, enterprise archive (EAR) files and web archive (WAR) files for mainframes and distributed systems.
- Includes scanners that support the syntax of IBM Enterprise COBOL and IBM Enterprise PL/I compilers. The COBOL scanner also provides support for EXEC CICS® statements, while the PL/I scanner can support pointer-based data elements.
- Simplifies the task of upgrading to the latest versions of the COBOL and PL/I compilers by identifying syntax and semantics issues.
- Features scanners that can analyze web services to capture their semantics and present their relationships.
- Allows for more comprehensive analysis by scanning for symbols in any type of non-IBM z/OS® file scanned with the Rational Asset Analyzer symbol scanner, incorporating the results into the Rational Asset Analyzer repository and including the information in the analysis and inquiry facilities.
Mining existing COBOL assets for business rules
- Identifies, captures and exports WebSphere Operational Decision Manager-compliant business rules using an imported or client-defined business term vocabulary.
- Supports a set of business rule assets and a business rule vocabulary consistent with, or imported from, the WebSphere Operational Decision Manager BRMS vocabulary.
- Supports business rule identification as a natural extension to the assets it already analyzes.
- Provides facilities to map the business terms used in the rules to the business terms used in the code.
- Allows users to identify the source statements that implement the rules, capture those rules in the WebSphere Operational Decision Manager rules editors, and export them for validation and management.
- Includes business rule identification and capture capabilities for COBOL applications. Rule mining for other languages is not supported.
- Lets teams capture, maintain and take advantage of application knowledge using a repository accessible to individuals via web and Eclipse interfaces, and to programming via a RESTful interface.
- Helps you meet your information needs using customized structured SQL queries to mine the metadata captured in the scanning process. The software integrates custom queries with the information flow by including them as actions on the pull-down menu.
- Empowers you to quickly create impact analyses using a flexible, intuitive interface. The software displays the results in a table for easy viewing.
- Helps you more accurately determine the scope of future development projects using standard metrics for mainframe applications and distributed software, along with the results of your impact analysis.