Maintain and optimize PL/I applications on IBM VSE systems
IBM® PL/I for VSE is a software development environment for optimizing PL/I applications on IBM VSE operating systems. Through integration with the IBM Language Environment®, the solution allows you to develop applications in multiple languages.
PL/I for VSE supports multiple-language development and use of reusable components to help you maintain and upgrade your applications with modern technologies.
- Enhances programmer productivity with built-in functions and diagnostic tools.
- Delivers interlanguage support through the Language Environment, which provides a common set of runtime libraries and callable services.
- Provides application portability using powerful input/output facilities.
Enhances programmer productivity
- Provides built-in functions for array processing, error handling, math computation, string-handling and more.
- Enables production of modular programs with block-oriented reusable code.
- Supplies defaults to reduce the number of declarations and other program statements.
- Supports virtual storage constraint relief, allowing you to develop large applications and extensive tables of data without resorting to segmentation techniques.
- Provides condition handling and diagnostic facilities to prevent programming errors.
Delivers interlanguage support
- Uses common conventions, runtime facilities and callable services to provide a consistent application development environment.
- Enables you to access library routines and include modules created by IBM COBOL for VSE.
- Supports the functions of IBM PL/I for MVS™ & VM.
- Supports reentrant interlanguage communication (ILC) applications.
Provides application portability
- Provides input and output facilities, allowing you to take advantage of data files, access methods and other devices provided by the operating system.
- Allows you to define input and output device types in runtime job control language (JCL), making your source programs device independent.