IBM® InfoSphere® Business Glossary provides a platform for creating and managing an enterprise vocabulary and classification system. The software offers ready to use industry standard terms and definitions. It helps you improve business and IT alignment in project areas such as master data management, data warehousing, business intelligence, and application consolidation and migration.
The solution is part of the IBM InfoSphere Information Server platform.
InfoSphere Business Glossary offers the following features and benefits:
- Enables authoring and sharing of business metadata using a simple, web-based interface.
- Provides business context and meaning around IT assets to promote shared understanding of data and business processes.
- Improves data governance programs by helping to deliver trusted information.
Enables authoring and sharing of business metadata
- Offers an intuitive interface for exploration of business terms and categories.
- Provides workflow capabilities, allowing you to govern when terms are updated and published.
- Can provide in-context access from any application with a click of a button.
- Can be directly embedded into portals, mashups and web applications.
Provides business context and meaning around IT assets
- Links business metadata to technical metadata through a common metadata repository.
- Can facilitate collaboration between business and technical users such as analysts, data modelers, developers and business managers.
- Helps ensure that technical and business information is always connected and consistent.
- Helps promote understanding, trust and confidence in information through business meaning and context.
Improves data governance programs
- Supports programs such as data stewardship, business term development and business lineage for verification of data sources.
- Allows data available through reports and applications to be traced backed to its sources for validation.
- Provides access to data quality metrics, helping users to validate data quality assessment programs and ensure that data meets acceptable compliance levels.