Manage and monitor z/OS Storage Resources including Cloud Tiers
Feature-rich z/OS storage resource management software suite
Advanced Storage Management Suite provides extensive capabilities to monitor and manage z/OS® storage hardware and software resources, including private, hybrid, or cloud storage for z/OS.
- Save time and money with simplified, unified view and ability to monitor, manage, and report on your z/OS storage resources.
- Ensure efficient allocation, control, and operation of key subsystems such as solid state storage, disk, tape, and virtual tape, plus cloud storage, ICF Catalogs, DFSMS, and VSAM files.
- Prevent costly storage-related outages.
- Manage and maintain key subsystems while online, avoiding application downtime for storage issues.
Storage resource monitoring: Manage key z/OS storage subsystems with flexible reporting, customizable intelligent alerts, detailed drill down, and customize directed or automated responses to quickly resolve problems.
Storage optimization: Improve z/OS storage operational performance and utilization by ensuring healthy, efficient operation of key subsystems such as storage tiering, DFSMShsm, storage allocation controls, ICF Catalog, and VSAM, and by utilizing new archive levels, including private, hybrid and public cloud storage for flexible, cost efficient storage.
Storage Trouble-Shooting: Quickly identify issues – often before they impact application performance or data availability – and drill down to the root cause for resolution before they cause problems. Common responses to problems can be automated to eliminate the need for staff to trouble-shoot and intervene. Many key maintenance actions can be performed while subsystems such as DFSMShsm or ICF Catalogs are online, eliminating application outages. Out-of-storage (X37) problems can be eliminated with storage allocation controls.
Storage Resource Monitoring
- Cloud Tape Connector for z/OS brings the flexibility and economics of cloud storage to the mainframe for inactive archival or backup data without requiring any new hardware gateways to configure and manage.
- Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Storage, Tivoli Advanced Audit for DFSMShsm, Tivoli Advanced Reporting and Management for DFSMShsm, and Advanced Archive for DFSMShsm all combine to reduce the CPU cost of HSM by ensuring that efficient data management policy is in place, storage media usage is optimized, and new archive tier (including cloud storage) exploited.
- Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management ensures that ICF Catalogs are healthy for outage prevention and efficient operation to improve application performance.
- Tivoli Advanced VSAM Manager can improve VSAM file performance by making it easy to create and maintain indexes on critical VSAM files.
- Tivoli Advanced Allocation Management enables software defined storage allocation policy management ensuring that applications and users have the storage they need without over-allocation, and preventing wasteful out-of-storage (X37) application errors.
- Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Storage provides intelligent alerts and reports allowing drill-down to quickly identify storage problems affecting performance and availability. Linkages to Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management, Tivoli Advanced Reporting and Management for DFSMShsm, and Tivoli Advanced Audit for DFSMShsm make it easy to identify and solve problems without a multi-person war-room approach. Common problems – even complex ones – can be resolved automatically without requiring expert intervention.
- Problems requiring maintenance of ICF Catalogs and DFSMShsm Control datasets can often be resolved without application outages using the maintain-while-open features of Tivoli Advanced Catalog Management and Tivoli Advanced Reporting and Management for DFSMShsm.
- Tivoli Allocation Management can sense when out-of-storage errors are about to occur, apply policy-based allocations, and allow the job to continue without error. Reports track such actions to allow adjustment to prevent future occurrences.
IBM Advanced Storage Management Suite for z/OS resources