Modern development tools for enterprise-wide application development and maintenance
IBM® Rational® Developer for the Enterprise provides a comprehensive development environment for heterogeneous enterprise application development with workloads spanning enterprise architectures and languages including z/OS®, Linux for z Systems™, x86, and Power®; languages including Java, COBOL, PL/I, Assembler, EGL, C/C++, and JCL; and runtimes such as AIX®, Linux for z Systems, Linux on Power, x86 Linux, CICS®, IMS™, DB2®, and Batch, as well as, WebSphere® Application Server environments on many architectures. The development environment includes tools for creating and maintaining traditional z Systems applications and transactional processing, cross platform web services, Web 2.0 applications, lightweight Web 2.0 applications using EGL, as well as Java Enterprise Edition applications that run in WebSphere Application Server. Rational Developer for the Enterprise helps to increase developer productivity by delivering integrated, high-quality code while working within the organizations development processes, tools, and philosophy.
Rational Developer for the Enterprise is a bundle comprised of the following products:
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software: Supports development and maintenance of Java, Java EE, portal, web and Web 2.0, OSGi, web services, SOA, mobile web, and hybrid mobile applications.
- Rational Developer for z Systems: Supports development and maintenance of z Systems, CICS, IMS, DB2 and Batch applications.
- Rational Business Developer: Simplifies multi-platform application development with EGL, a business oriented, multi-platform programming model and language that can be used across all tiers of an application.
- Rational Developer for i: Supports several language options for IBM i platform (formerly known as AS400), in addition to multiple application modernization techniques such as re-facing of 5250 interfaces and service-enabling RPG and COBOL procedures.
Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software
- Includes developer test and analysis tools to help find and fix problems early in the development process.
- Provides profiling tools for identifying and correcting performance issues.
- Is optimized for WebSphere software but can be used to develop solutions that will be deployed to other application servers.
Rational Developer for z Systems:
- Includes z/OS application development tools that allow access to IBM z/OS datasets, z/OS UNIX Hierarchical File System (HFS), and z Systems File System (zFS) files, submission and monitoring of z/OS jobs and job execution queues, and debugging artifacts after access.
- Includes modern tools and wizards to help assist in difficult and complex operations, helping novice mainframe developers ramp up more quickly.
- Provides visually configurable editors, statement assisted creation and verification of syntax for COBOL, PL/I, C, C++, JCL, High-Level Assembler and Java languages.
- Offers Enterprise Service Tools, an integrated perspective that helps with the creation of CICS web services, IMS SOAP gateway web services, and web services that are not runtime specific.
- Integrates with z/OS source control systems such as IBM Rational Team Concert™ for z Systems, IBM Software Configuration and Library Management (SCLM) Toolkit, and CA Endevor Software Change Manager, as well as tools such as IBM Rational Host Access Transformation Services, IBM Debug Tool, IBM File Manager, and IBM Fault Analyzer.
Rational Business Developer
- Simplifies multi-platform application development with EGL, a business oriented, multi-platform programming model and language that can be used across all tiers of an application.
- Allows EGL applications to deploy to a range of platforms and middleware such as WebSphere Application Server, IBM Power Systems and CICS.
Rational Developer for i
- Includes "RPG and COBOL Tools" that support development of RPG, COBOL, and other applications that run on IBM i.
- Includes "RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, Java Edition" that include "RPG and COBOL Tools" with the addition of a significant subset of Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software capabilities.
- "RPG and COBOL + Modernization Tools, EGL Edition" starts with "RPG and COBOL Tools" and adds the entirety of Rational Business Developer.
IBM Rational Developer for the Enterprise