Flexible solution for identifying and collecting data from remote devices
IBM® Desktop Data Collector enables organizations to apply corporate governance policies to user desktops and laptops. Users can identify corporate records or custodian data for legal matters and collect them to a central repository built for devices with intermittent connectivity.
Desktop Data Collector delivers:
- A powerful, flexible solution for identifying and collecting data for investigations, litigation matters or records retention.
- A simplified collection of information located on remote desktops and laptops.
- Centralized management to minimize IT burden and improve efficiency when used in conjunction with IBM eDiscovery Identification and Collection or IBM Policy Assessment and Compliance.
- Intelligent desktop data collection for identifying corporate records or custodian data and collecting them to a central repository.
A powerful, flexible solution
- Works across a variety of low-bandwidth or high-latency networks and through network firewalls.
- Supports parallel collection activity across multiple computers, improving collection efficiency.
- Manages the agent installation and removal operation within your IT environment, eliminating the need for IT staff to manage it.
- Recovers from disconnected network connections.
A simplified collection
- Helps organizations that are geographically distributed or are having problems coordinating network access for mobile employees.
- Provides a desktop data management solution at a lower total cost than traditional methods for data collection.
- Solves problems of visibility and control of business content that is stored on occasionally connected desktops and laptops over high-latency networks.
- Installs the desktop agent on targeted devices and becomes visible in the management dashboard as network connectivity is available.
- Supports both a reactive and permanent deployment model to provide flexibility to meet either tactical or long-term information management requirements.
- Lets the administrator assign tasks across a multitude of desktops from a single interface.
- Provides visibility of agent task assignments, activity and audit logs.
- Allows the administrator to define, distribute and control the execution of agent tasks.
- Logs all activity performed by the desktop agent and makes it available for analysis.
Intelligent desktop data collection
- Filters out non-relevant files on the target computer, reducing the amount of data to be collected and expediting the collection effort.
- Performs filtering using keywords, dates, file types, US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) hash list comparisons, or other metadata criteria through the query interface.
- Offers visualizations and lists of responsive files for verification prior to execution, allowing administrators to incrementally refine collections criteria as appropriate.
- Allows the desktop agent to identify and act upon any internal or external storage devices attached to the target computer including CD/DVD, USB or Apple FireWire drives.
- Preserves the status of the agent activity if the network connection is lost and resumes when the target computer reconnects to the network.
Desktop Data Collector resources
- Case study: Four global leaders (128KB)
Learn how IBM Information Lifecycle Governance solutions helped four global business leaders to apply governance best practices to structured and unstructured content for retention, optimize business processes, maximize IT infrastructure and address complex compliance requirements.