Access, manage and optimize performance of your enterprise information
IBM® DB2 Connect™ Unlimited Advanced Edition for System z helps you access, manage and optimize performance of your enterprise information, wherever it resides. It is a cost-effective solution for organizations that use DB2 Connect extensively, especially where multiple applications are involved. The solution is licensed for unlimited deployment on authorized servers. It includes IBM Data Studio and InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime for Linux, UNIX and Windows, as well as InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager for DB2. This software collectively provides a secure, rapid application environment and centralized configuration management for data servers and clients.
DB2 Connect Unlimited Advanced Edition for System z can help your organization:
- Centralize configuration management—improve manageability, enhance migration plans, reduce risks and help ensure high availability for business critical applications.
- Identify and resolve problems proactively—use performance alerts, redirect client connections away from problematic applications, control resources available to applications and more.
- Optimize performance of new or existing applications—provide development tuning for web-enabled mainframe functionality and accelerate performance of Java and .NET applications.
- Boost SQL performance—mitigate the risk of SQL injection for your DB2 applications. Using pureQuery technology, optimize SQL performance, improve security and speed problem resolution.
- Reduce costs—take advantage of cost-effective licensing terms. You can also reduce administration costs with autonomic administration features and lower CPU consumption.
Centralize configuration management
- Enforce best practice configurations remotely across the enterprise using InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager for DB2 for z/OS servers and client applications. For example, you can enforce workload management configurations, WebSphere Application Server pools, DB2 application profiles, location aliases and more.
- Improve DB2 migration plans by building an inventory of clients and their application connections. Create a baseline snapshot before migration and compare to a snapshot after migration to see what changed.
- Isolate application transactions or redirect clients from one system to another without requiring changes to the application or network.
Identify and resolve problems proactively
- Generate alerts when configurations deviate from best practice formats, and enforce client and server configurations remotely using InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager.
- Control application resources by switching workload manager mapping rules.
- Redirect incoming applications or client connections away from problematic applications.
- Isolate poorly performing applications for root-cause analysis in data sharing environments.
Optimize performance of new and existing applications
- Gain enterprise-class development tool for web-enabled mainframe functionality with Data Studio. You can speed data access development, optimize performance and diagnose performance bottlenecks.
- Capture and visualize potential query hotspots to identify which queries are executed most frequently or take the most time. InfoSphere Optim Query Tuner provides recommendations to help tune queries for optimal performance.
- Enhance the performance of existing in-house database client applications written in Java, C or .NET using InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime. This high-performance data access platform provides a runtime environment and API. It helps with rapid development and deployment of new applications, and optimizes database applications and services.
- Manage large-scale environments with features such as mobility on demand, federated database support, server-based monitoring or connection concentrator, and associated load-balancing and fail-over support.
Boost SQL performance
- Capture, review, share, and optimize SQL. You can replace poorly performing SQL with optimized SQL without changing the application.
- Convert DB2 dynamic SQL to static SQL, to help reduce CPU consumption, provide better manageability and enforce tighter security. You can use static SQL without changing the development environment.
- Help prevent SQL injection by restricting the SQL executed by a specific application to an approved set of SQL statements.
- Display performance metrics within Data Studio to identify SQL hot spots. You can trace problem SQL back to its source code for faster problem isolation.
- Visualize the impact of database changes, and capture and display key performance metrics and correlation metadata using Data Studio.
- Lower deployment costs with a server-based license for DB2 Connect. License fees are based on one host license for the DB2 for z/OS server (plus the size of the DB2 for z/OS server). License fees are not affected by the number of processors available to the DB2 Connect servers or the number of processors available on machines where the application is running.
- Shorten installation time with non-administrator installation on Windows, response file installation enhancements, and support for coexistence of multiple copies of the DB2 database system. Your IT staff can spend more time supporting your business needs instead of installing and deploying database systems.
- Decrease the time required to administer and tune your database system with autonomic features, which include adaptive self-tuning memory allocation and object maintenance policy wizards for DB2 for z/OS.
- Reduce CPU consumption by converting DB2 dynamic SQL to static SQL, without changing the development environment using InfoSphere Optim pureQuery Runtime.
- Control costs by averting spikes in CPU and MIPS usage by using InfoSphere Optim Configuration Manager. This helps prevent system outages caused by poor configurations and problematic DB2 applications.
DB2 Connect Unlimited Advanced Edition for System z