Extend enterprise applications, from the desktop to mobile devices
IBM® WebSphere® Application Server Feature Pack for Web 2.0 and Mobile uses standards-based technologies to help developers create more connected and interactive desktop and mobile applications. It provides developers with ready-to-use components to extend service-oriented architecture (SOA) by connecting web services, SOA services and Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) objects into interactive desktop-web and mobile-web user interfaces. IBM WebSphere Application Server applications developed for desktop browsers can be adapted and deployed to mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
WebSphere Application Server Feature Pack for Web 2.0 and Mobile:
- Provides a standards-based programming model for application developers.
- Reuses existing infrastructure and skills as a natural extension to WebSphere Application Server.
- Minimizes redesign of applications through standards-based technology to create mobile web content.
Provides a standards-based programming model
- Accelerates the addition of rich desktop and mobile user interfaces to WebSphere Application Server applications.
- Offers an additional collection of core services, including new skins for a variety of mobile platforms and innovative user interface widgets.
Reuses existing infrastructure and skills
- Takes advantage of back-end core capabilities through RESTful services.
- Provides straightforward connectivity between mobile clients and existing server-side components.
- Enables Ajax developers to reuse their desktop-browser experience with no need to learn mobile-specific or device-specific programming languages.
- The Feature Pack for Web 2.0 and Mobile is available for WebSphere Application Server V6.1, V7.0, and V8.0, WebSphere Application Server Community Edition V2.1 and V3.0 and WebSphere Application Server Hypervisor Edition.
Minimizes redesign of applications
- Based on the distribution of the Dojo Toolkit and REST APIs.
- WebSphere Application Server Feature Pack for Web 2.0 and Mobile provides style sheets for smartphones to deliver a user experience compatible with both mobile device capabilities and user expectation.
- Resulting web sites can be used across different mobile platforms, with almost native look and feel.