Policy-based System z automation for midsize companies
IBM® Automation Control for z/OS® delivers versatile, policy-based automation for IBM System z® environments. It combines powerful, enterprise-tested automation with installation and configuration capabilities designed for ease of use. IBM Automation Control for z/OS can increase operations productivity and system availability while reducing risk and costs for midsize companies.
IBM Automation Control for z/OS provides:
- Powerful systems management functions for midsize companies to automate operational processes and administration tasks.
- Smart Configuration Assistance for easier installation and customization to dramatically improve time to value.
- Policy-based and goal-driven automation to optimize efficiency and availability of critical systems and applications.
- Efficient, lightweight approaches to simplify administrative and operational tasks.
- Integration with z/OS and IBM Tivoli® solutions for improved efficiency and availability.
Powerful systems management functions for midsize companies
- Automate, monitor and control single system z/OS software environments and local System z hardware resources, including the Hardware Management Console (HMC).
- Respond to outages before they impact business users by monitoring System z applications, hardware components, automated processes, messages and alerts.
- Control activation and deactivation of logical partitions on the local processor, the z/OS initial program load (IPL) process and software running on z/OS, including complex subsystems.
- Work with an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) designed for ease of use.
- Manage system availability and performance proactively with enterprise-tested automation and control tools.
Smart Configuration Assistance for easier installation and customization
- Use the Smart Configuration Assistant for easier, faster system setup and configuration.
- Define configurations with greater accuracy and consistency and help reduce coding and support efforts.
- Eliminate manual setup steps during policy customization due to automatic discovery of needed parameters.
- Collect the most important set of parameters in a single options file and automatically generate required artifacts.
- Utilize the additional configuration verification tool to perform a runtime check and validate successful configuration completion.
Policy-based and goal-driven automation
- Automate repetitive, complex tasks using goal-oriented automation technology governed by a declarative automation policy. Eliminate the need to script automation yourself.
- Use policy-based automation to start, stop, monitor and recover z/OS and z/OS UNIX System Services applications and resources.
- Perform goal-oriented automation based on desired resource states, which are available or unavailable.
- Conduct a staged IPL or system shutdown in which a subset of resources are started or stopped without requiring multiple policy variants.
- Allow multiple users to edit and browse policies concurrently. Log policy changes for change management and auditing.
Efficient, lightweight approaches
- Use wizards to help reduce customization and programming efforts.
- Eliminate the most common needs for manual scripts by using intuitive configuration tools.
- Help reduce dependencies on system programming and operations resources.
- Detect problems more easily through a smart IBM Tivoli Enterprise Portal (TEP) topology view.
Integration with z/OS and IBM Tivoli solutions
- Integrate with IBM Tivoli Monitoring software and IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON® monitors to view system status and performance metrics.
- Work with IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler to integrate operational tasks with job plans and calendar schedules.
- Provide alarm capabilities and event notifications through integration with IBM Tivoli System Automation for Integrated Operations Management, IBM Tivoli Service Request Manager and IBM Tivoli Netcool®/OMNIbus.
- Manage local IBM zEnterprise® landscape availability, including IBM BladeCenter® blade servers, virtual hosts and virtual servers.
- Deliver automation for IBM IMS™, IBM CICS®, Tivoli Workload Scheduler, IBM DB2® and IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for z/OS.
IBM Automation Control for z/OS resources