A programming language for problem solving, visualization and database access
IBM® APL2® is a highly-productive, general-purpose programming language used by both end users and developers, providing an extensive collection of functions for solving business problems. It is widely used for diverse application areas including commercial data processing, system design and prototyping, engineering and scientific computation and for teaching mathematics and other subjects. Available in two editions, Workstation APL2 and APL2 for S/370 and S/390 Mainframes, this array-oriented environment allows users to manipulate huge amounts of data interactively.
- Interactive problem solving - use both calculator style and traditional programming environments.
- Powerful data analysis - work with entire collections of data all at once with APL2's array processing.
- Easy data access – access data using a rich set of interfaces to files, databases and other programs.
- Graphical tools - use built-in graphical tools to display data, or interface to your favorite system tools.
- Portability and distributability - move APL2 applications from platform to platform, or distribute your APL2 application across multiple systems.
Interactive problem solving
- Many mathematical, logical, sorting and searching routines are part of the base APL2 language.
- Re-usable log of your interactive session allows experimentation.
- On Windows, full-function context editing and debugging provides a familiar GUI environment for application development.
- You focus on what you want to do - APL2 focuses on how to do it.
Powerful data analysis
- Explore new ways to view your data using APL2 arrays with dozens of dimensions and unrestricted data types.
- Calculate with millions of pieces of information as easily as with a few.
- Pinpoint, fix or work around data errors in minutes.
- Add new functions and operations as needed to meet your specific requirements.
- Take advantage of APL2's symbolic notation which is concise, precise and independent of national language.
Easy data access
- APL2 file processors provide several different views of operating system files: record-oriented, byte stream, or formatted to contain APL2 objects in their binary form.
- APL2 database processors allow access to IBM DB2, and on workstations allow access any to database or tool that supports the ODBC protocol.
- Interface directly to Windows system tools such as spreadsheets and word processors, sharing the data via the COM or DDE protocols.
- Call programs written in C, Rexx, and other languages as if they were subroutines of APL2.
- Build solutions using platform-independent graphical tools, supplied with all APL2 systems.
- Use platform-specific tools like GDDM, X-Windows or Windows GUI facilities via APL2 processors.
- Interface to browsers with APL2's built-in TCP/IP support and sample web server.
Portability and distributability
- Transfer APL2 code and data between platforms using the )OUT and )IN system commands.
- Share data directly between APL2 instances running on different systems with APL2 managing the TCP/IP communication.
- Distribute applications across multiple systems using Client-Server, Peer-to-Peer or Master-Slave protocols.
- Use TCP/IP services directly with APL2's TCP/IP socket interface.