CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.2 continues to extend the value of CICS providing a balanced version of capability.
CICS TS V4.2 is designed to be a balanced release, with new and enhanced capability that will be of interest to both leading edge customers and those customers who are more conservative with new technology adoption.
It is designed to execute mixed language application workloads, supporting both modern and traditional programming languages and models. Its extensive data communication services, and its foundations in service-oriented architecture (SOA), provide unparalleled connectivity and scalability. As a result, CICS TS fits naturally into a smart infrastructure that is needed for a flexible, global enterprise.
CICS TS V4.2 builds upon the new and enhanced capabilities developed and delivered in Version 4.1, to enable customers to compete in the marketplace, comply with standards and regulations, and control their IT processes. CICS TS V4.2 delivers technical innovation and significant business value in five main focus areas, satisfying in excess of fifty customer and user group enhancement requests. The result is a powerful new release with a huge amount of value for all stakeholders - delivering a smarter transaction processing experience for CICS users and their customers in turn.
- Events: New functionality in the CICS TS runtime enables system events to be emitted using the CICS business event infrastructure, providing immediate insight into the health of the CICS system. Enhanced CICS bundle support reduces set-up time and complexity through the separation of system programmer and application developer concerns, together with the use of common technology for both system- and application-related events.
- Java: A new 64-bit Java runtime environment, coupled with enhancements to the multithreaded Java Virtual Machine (JVM) server infrastructure allows CICS to run more, and larger, Java applications in a single region delivering better scalability for Java workloads in CICS. When combined with new support for the deployment of OSGi bundles, this can significantly simplify system administration and portability for Java applications. The provision of a new Java-based Axis2 web services engine improves portability of web services applications and reduces the cost of deployment through increased zAAP offload.
- Connectivity: CICS TS V4.2 extends its investment in System z IP networking, and supports the function shipping of file control, transient data, and temporary storage requests between CICS regions over a TCP/IP network using an IP interconnectivity (IPIC) connection, with potential benefits coming from improved performance, and the ability to simplify network administration when moving from SNA to an IP network.
- Management: Enhancements to simplify the management of CICS remains a focus: a new transaction tracking facility designed to aid auditing and speed up problem determination; improvements to workload management that provide options to balance work more effectively in differing environments, and enable dynamic changes; support for password phrases to strengthen log-on security; our CICS Explorer evolution continues with improvements and enhancements in areas such as z/OS perspective, import and export of system connection details, ability to view system initialization table (SIT) parameters.
- Scalability: The scalability of the CICS environment is enhanced with major extensions to multiprocessor exploitation, including threadsafe access via the CICS-DBCTL interface to IBM Information Management System (IMS) Databases and function shipping requests between CICS systems over IPIC connections.
This release also delivers a series of architectural enhancements to enable CICS system and application programs to use and exploit System z 64-bit architecture, where customers could benefit, for example, from 64-bit Java, trace, and temporary storage.
IBM Software Subscription and Support is included in the product price for the first year.
Not available to buy online. Other ways to purchase or learn more.