Fortran compiler maximizes application performance on IBM Power Systems
XL Fortran for AIX 60 day no-charge trial
IBM® XL Fortran for AIX® is a standards-based, high-performance Fortran compiler with advanced optimization and performance-tuning features. It enables the development of parallel applications that exploit the IBM POWER processor multi-core and vector features. XL Fortran for AIX optimizes your infrastructure on IBM Power Systems, supporting extensive numerical, scientific and high-performance computing.
IBM XL Fortran for AIX delivers the following benefits and features:
- Leading optimization and performance tuning technology takes advantage of hardware advancements in Power Systems, including the latest IBM POWER8 technology.
- High-performance libraries are specifically tuned for the POWER architecture, including IBM Mathematical Acceleration Subsystem, Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms and the shared memory parallelization runtime library.
- Profile-driven optimization produces monitoring code used to generate a runtime profile, which helps tune application performance.
- Language standard compliance adheres with the international programming language standards, including Fortran 2003, a subset of Fortran 2008, and language interoperability standards.
- Utilization reports are generated for overall compiler usage within an organization.
Leading optimization and performance tuning technology
- Supports automatic parallelization of sequential programs to optimize the power of multi-core processors.
- Supports systems with processor architectures that execute single instruction, multiple data (SIMD) instruction sets, including vector multimedia extension (VMX) instructions and the POWER8 vector scalar extension (VSX) instruction set.
- Provides full support of OpenMP Version 3.1 and partial support for OpenMP 4.0 to enable parallel application development and simplify data and task parallelism.
- Supports profile-driven optimization.
- Mathematical Acceleration Subsystem (MASS) consists of libraries of mathematical intrinsic functions tuned specifically for optimum performance on POWER architectures.
- Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms (BLAS) have high-performance algebraic functions, performing combined matrix multiplication and addition on general matrices or their transposes, and compute the matrix-vector product for a general matrix or its transpose.
- The shared memory parallelization (SMP) runtime library supports both explicit and automated parallel processing.
- Profile-directed feedback optimization collects information about a program run with typical input data and then applies transformations to the program based on that information.
- Profile-directed feedback can ensure the performance of the application is optimized for its important inputs.
- Application profile monitoring and profile directed feedback capabilities minimize the need for manual tuning to achieve desirable performance on large, complex applications.
Language standard compliance
- Supports FORTRAN 77, Fortran 90, Fortran 95, Fortran 2003 and a subset of Fortran 2008.
- Supports a subset of Technical Specification 29113 for further interoperability of Fortran with C.
- Helps to protect investments in existing Fortran source and object code built with previous versions of the compilers, allowing users to rebuild and link all the components into the same applications using the latest compiler versions.
- Supports compatibility of object code or libraries compiled with previous versions of XL Fortran with the newest XL Fortran compiler and runtime environment.
- Supports industry-compliant Fortran language standards which make the applications portable.
- Produces reports that indicate the number of concurrent users using the compiler.
- Provides reports for four optimization categories, including inlining, loop transformations, data reorganizations and profile-directed feedback information.
- Generates loop analysis reports about the loop nests where the aggressive loop analysis was performed.
- Provides enhanced profiling reports with information on the loop iteration count, the block and call count and the number of cache misses for certain functions.
XL Fortran for AIX resources
- Data sheet: XL Fortran for AIX
Discover how to optimize your infrastructure, boost your productivity and shorten your development time.
- Rational RFE community
Collaborate directly with the IBM product development teams and other product users , on ideas for future product enhancements.
XL Fortran compiler maximizes application performance on IBM Power Systems
IBM Software Subscription and Support is included in the product price for the first year.
Download software online after purchase - no shipping costs!