Collaborative release planning and execution
IBM® UrbanCode Release manages the release of complex interdependent applications, infrastructure changes and simultaneous deployments of multiple applications. This software enables you to plan, execute and track a release through every stage of the lifecycle model. UrbanCode Release helps to reduce errors while making large releases faster and more agile.
UrbanCode Release features:
- Collaborative release planning includes a full set of capabilities designed to reduce the time spent in release planning meetings and reviews.
- Environment management makes it easier to allocate environments to the development and testing phases in a release, providing better visibility and control.
- Streamlined release execution provides processes to facilitate release tracking, email notifications and automatic promotion to early environments.
- Integration capabilities enable interfaces with IBM Rational Team Concert™ and IBM UrbanCode Deploy.
Collaborative release planning
- Construct a reusable release process template (called a “Lifecycle”) to describe the path to production through the development and testing phases; define lifecycles for different types of releases and business units; and specify quality gates to ensure that the software meets the specified criteria for a phase before being deployed into an environment.
- Define a Release to identify the list of applications participating in a release; define release process checklist items such as documentation reviews, project kickoff dates and release-ready review dates; and establish production dates for a given year that applications opt into.
- Gain visibility into every part of the release with the reusable Deployment Plan while tracking tasks assigned to users, roles and automated systems. The Deployment Plan automatically disseminates changes to the plan to other scheduled deployments that use the same master plan; it supports simplified plans for continuous delivery in early integration and testing environments.
- Track which releases are using particular environments to help ensure that code is deployed to the appropriate environment.
- Define unique process requirements for specific environments.
- Perform both repeatable environment-specific tasks and configuration tasks that are executed only once.
Streamlined release execution
- Track the progress of the release on a web-based dashboard; anticipate when participants are expected to perform a specific task with real-time tracking that computes the expected timeline for release activities.
- Customize email notifications to inform stakeholders about updates to the release status, deployment failures and other events, and when it is time to perform a task.
- Deliver software continuously by automatically selecting and deploying to development and testing environments the versions of applications that have passed gate criteria.
- View the business content of a release from the release management solution by integrating Rational Team Concert with UrbanCode Release.
- Enable automated deployments that are triggered during the deployment of a multi-application release by integrating UrbanCode Deploy with UrbanCode Release.
IBM UrbanCode Release resources