Improve SDL software development for communications systems
IBM® Rational® SDL Suite is a real-time software development tool for communications systems. It provides communications software specification and software development capabilities for complex, event-driven communications systems described using the ITU-T Specification and Description Language (SDL) standard. The tool provides a graphical, drag-and-drop SDL editor that lets you navigate from high-level specifications to detailed behavior.
With Rational SDL Suite, you can:
- Describe typical scenarios with a visual trace language using the MSC Editor. This graphical tool for handling Message Sequence Charts (MSCs) supports the graphical notation defined in the standard Z.120.
- Simulate to prove your concept with a rich set of simulation tools for both verification and validation. Verification results are presented in an easy-to-follow tree view. Validation capabilities enable you to match your system behavior against a requirements specification.
- Ensure early stakeholder feedback through visual prototypes. The Rational SDL Suite MSC to SDL Synthesizer allows rapid creation of executable applications from high-level scenarios, expressed using industry-standard MSCs.
- Generate executable code without writing a line when the simulators have convinced you that your system is correct. Rational SDL Suite generates the final application for you.
- Integrate with your target environment using various ways to include earlier C and C++ code. Rational SDL Suite provides open tools that make it simple to let your application run in the target environment.
Describe typical scenarios with a visual trace language
- Automatically generated MSCs serve as an important graphical trace tool when simulating a system specified in SDL.
- The SDL Explorer can take an MSC and test it against your SDL system. You discover whether or not your MSC describes a possible behavior in your system.
- With High-Level Message Sequence Charts (HMSCs), you can build hierarchies of MSCs.
- Instead of drawing different MSCs for situations where just a single condition separates two cases, you can draw an HMSC that describes alternative paths.
Simulate to prove your concept
- Verification is performed through static analysis and an automatic, comprehensive exploration of the SDL specification and all included C code.
- Rational SDL Suite tests all possible execution paths of the SDL system. This includes checking rules and reporting violations, such as deadlocks, loops and exceeded queue length. It presents verification results in as an easy-to-follow tree view.
- In the validation phase, you confirm that the system does exactly what it is supposed to and nothing else. You can simulate in batch or in interactive mode through a graphical user interface. You can connect to another SDL system or to a TTCN test suite. You can monitor the progress of the simulation graphically and set breakpoints at your convenience.
- The validation tool can verify that an SDL system is consistent with an MSC use case by checking whether or not there is a possible execution path that satisfies the MSC. This enables you to match your system behavior against a requirements specification.
Ensure early stakeholder feedback
- The Rational SDL Suite MSC to SDL Synthesizer automatically translates easy-to-read formalized use case scenarios to complete software systems. They can be simulated and validated using the built-in capabilities of Rational SDL Suite.
- The Rational SDL Suite MSC to SDL Synthesizer uses scenario language as the input for the modeling process and automatically transforms scenarios into executable state machines.
- The Rational SDL Suite MSC to SDL Synthesizer can be used to validate models of your system to help avoid incorrect decisions that can result from incomplete or inaccurate requirements.
Generate executable code without writing a line
- The SDL compiler automatically translates from SDL to C/C++ environments. It uses the exact same generated C code in both the simulation and applications. This ensures consistency between the tested system and its implementation.
- Rational SDL Suite offers two SDL compilers. The first is an unrestricted C code generator that supports generation of any kind of executable code. The second is optimized for smaller embedded systems where code efficiency, minimum memory demands and high performance are required.
Integrate with your target environment
- The SDL compilers include run-time libraries in source code. They make it possible to develop portable applications that can be executed on any machine with a suitable C compiler.
- You can adapt the same SDL structure to different architectures simply by choosing the appropriate template. You can choose between mono-tasking, multi-tasking or distributed systems including Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).
- By setting target parameters in the Targeting Expert, you can simplify the integration and the compilation of your system.
- Communication with the environment is made flexible through a general and open framework for ASN.1-based encoding and decoding. This framework can automatically generate connections to the environment.
Rational SDL Suite resources