Modernize existing applications faster with lower risk and cost
IBM® Rational® Migration Extension is software that migrates applications built on outdated languages to Enterprise Generation Language (EGL). It provides the necessary libraries that support the new EGL source code after migration. Rational Migration Extension helps you transition away from costly and aging environments to a modern, extensible language and Eclipse-based tool set.
Rational Migration Extension offers valuable benefits and capabilities that enable businesses to be more competitive and reduce costs.
- Automates the conversion of outdated code to a modern language that is highly flexible and maintainable.
- Reduces maintenance and infrastructure costs including duplicative development tools and processes.
- Speeds responsiveness and time to market by adopting emerging technologies and reducing development time.
- Enables reuse of proven applications and deployment to new platforms and environments.
Automates the conversion of outdated code
- Conversion of existing code and data to a modern language, development tool set, and database can increase flexibility and maintainability.
- Automated conversion of existing code into modern programming technologies provides many of the same benefits as a complete rewrite with fewer drawbacks.
- Automated application migration is a faster, lower risk and less expensive alternative for application modernization.
- Rational Migration Extension automates conversion of applications written in Software AG Natural, Software AG Adabas, CA Ideal, COOL:Gen, Datacom, COBOL and RPG.
Reduces maintenance and infrastructure costs
- Gives IT organizations full control over the new system, and enables the use of new architectures and tools.
- Facilitates deployment of applications and services to modern open platforms. This can help eliminate the language-to-platform lock-in.
- Reduces or eliminates software licensing costs and duplicate development tools and processes.
- Minimizes code expansion so the converted code is easier to modify and maintain.
Speeds responsiveness and time to market
- Migration to EGL, an open business language, enables platform flexibility and choice because it deploys to virtually any environment.
- Studies have shown that developers are highly productive with EGL, enabling them to deliver more application functionality in less time.
- Emerging technologies and standards, such as service-oriented architecture (SOA) and business process automation, can be used to increase usability and accessibility, providing information to users through more intuitive and feature-rich interfaces.
Enables reuse of proven applications
- Take advantage of new computing platforms and architectures while preserving the reliability and functionality of the existing system.
- Transform existing green screens to rich web user interfaces.
- Use the existing knowledge of developers who worked on the original application and can easily become proficient in maintaining and extending the converted application.
Rational Migration Extension resources