Off-host mainframe application development and testing
IBM® Rational® Development and Test Environment for System z® provides an environment for mainframe application development and testing. It enables z/OS, middleware and other z/OS software to run on Intel and Intel-compatible platforms without the need for System z mainframe hardware. Integral to IBM Integrated Solution for System z Development and IBM Continuous Integration Solution for System z, this software is based on the IBM System z Personal Development Tool (zPDT), which provides an emulated System z architecture with virtual I/O and devices.
Rational Development and Test Environment for System z provides:
- An application development and testing environment that can improve development infrastructure availability and flexibility.
- Mixed workload support that can help reduce development costs.
- A high fidelity development and test environment that can streamline the delivery of production-ready applications.
- Current levels of the IBM z/OS® software, giving access to new run-time capabilities for development and testing purposes.
- An environment for employee education on System z that is approachable and portable.
Application development and testing environment
- Create new applications using z/OS features in a development and test environment prior to pre-production build and test on the mainframe.
- Provide a z/OS test environment to a wider range of mainframe developers and testers by providing testing tools on individual developer desktops or to teams on shared servers.
- Allow mainframe operating systems, middleware and software to run on Intel and Intel-compatible platforms, eliminating the need for System z mainframe hardware during the initial set of development activities.
- Enable developers to implement quick test environment changes, such as defining new transactions and resource definitions using the IBM CICS® Explorer® tools in Rational Developer for System z, without involving mainframe production operations staff.
- Build and test new System z applications at virtually any time without impacting shared mainframe environments or processes.
Mixed workload support
- Provide a small-scale test environment for developers to run z/OS and z/OS middleware on an Intel or Intel-compatible workstation, taking advantage of a distributed development system that can be more cost effective.
- Use a more modern and agile team environment that accelerates delivery of new workloads spanning multiple platforms.
- Take advantage of a personal or team-centric approach for developers to implement and test code changes in an isolated and controllable System z environment.
- Eliminate mainframe usage formerly required for development to help increase mainframe production capacity.
High fidelity development and test environment
- Use actual z/OS middleware to help reduce the retesting and modifications required when moving applications from the unit test environment to the quality assurance or mainframe pre-production stage.
- Provide a test environment functionally comparable to a test environment on the mainframe.
- Work with an isolated test environment to test application changes that can be merged into the next level of testing using tools, such as IBM Rational Team Concert™.
- Take advantage of the same environment to develop and test new applications and handle maintenance changes.
Current levels of the IBM z/OS middleware
- Get a preconfigured package of IBM operating systems and middleware for development usage, including the latest versions of z/OS, IBM CICS, IBM IMS™, IBM DB2®, IBM WebSphere®, COBOL, PL/I, C++, Java, and high-level assembler (HLASM).
- Integrate easily with other IBM Rational and IBM tools to help improve developer productivity and reduce costs.
- Purchase as a stand-alone entry point into the IBM Integrated Solution for System z Development and the IBM Continuous Integration Solution for System z.
System z education environment
- Run z/OS, middleware and other z/OS software on Intel and Intel-compatible platforms, eliminating the need for a System z mainframe for employee education activities.
- Experiment without fear of destroying anything, as the environment can be easily reset.
- Support multiple users with their own system for quicker, more flexible learning.
- Facilitate System z education activities anytime, anywhere.
Note: Rational Development and Test Environment for System z can only be used for development, testing, employee education, or demonstration of applications that run on z/OS. It may not be used for production workloads of any kind, nor for robust development workloads, including without limitation, production module builds, pre-production testing, stress testing, or performance testing.
IBM Rational Development and Test Environment for System z resources